Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good Bacon vs. Bad Bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cloverdale bacon is great. They sell it in huge packs here. It is actually thick-cut. Unlike most other brands that claim that they are "thick-Cut" this stuff actually is. And since they sell it in bulk packaging, you get a deal. I am not sure if they have it in your area or not., but it is worth a look.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Unknown.jpeg
Views:	124
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	1092787

Comment

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      They certainly are thick cut, but the number one ingredient on the label is water. I suspect it's injected. I'd like to try it but it's only carried in Target down here and that's a line I won't cross.

• Backroadmeats
      Backroadmeats commented
      Editing a comment
      Bkhuna my 2 cents on this would be that most bacon that is injected is probably barely even in a smoke house at any point. They inject the smoke flavor and spay it on the outside of the slabs. It is more than likely tumbled. That is how I do mine and the number two ingredient on the label is water. I don't inject any liquid ,. I just put the bacon slabs in the tumbler with my brine and three hours later it is ready to go in the smoker.

• Backroadmeats
      Backroadmeats commented
      Editing a comment
      It is an interesting process as I used to dry brine my bacon but when I got my tumbler I did side by side bacon tests and none could tell the difference. So for speed purposes if I can cure it in three hours vs 7 days and get the same product I will do the three hour cure any day..

Side note........the only "bad bacon" is Vegan Bacon.....I think we can all agree there. And in which case it is not bacon at all, cause there really is no such thing as bad bacon.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Turkey bacon...

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      texastweeter - Turkey bacon, two words that can't coexist in any rational sense.

Troutman Backroadmeats Bkhuna

Comment

• Backroadmeats
      Backroadmeats commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup. That's is how I would eat that too!!

I googled Best Bacon to see what was out on the internet. A lot of advertising. Did find one interesting comment from another forum that was 10 years old. Have any of you tried this approach with your favorite "good" bacon?

"I know this is a 5 year old thread, but I had a similar problem making a bacon weave for a fatty last week. The bacon was just way too thick. What I did was to make the weave on top of a piece of plastic wrap. Then I covered it with another piece of plastic wrap and rolled over it with a heavy rolling pin. Kinda like rolling out pie dough. The size increased by probably 30% and the pieces all compressed together, making it much more uniform and a lot easier to work with. I believe I've seen someone else do this, I just can't remember who or where. It works though.

Then you just peel off the top plastic and wrap as usual."

Comment

Wrights has never done me wrong, if I’m wrapping something I just use Kroger bacon.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here