Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry brining rib timelines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry brining rib timelines

In an effort to better balance out my smoke, bake, and prep schedule. I am thinking I will start trimming and dry brining (left uncovered in fridge) half of of my ribs on a Wednesday for a Friday smoke, then the other half on Thursday. I can not see any problems with this. But, would love any feedback on why I should not. Thank you in advance.

I can't tell the difference between over knight or in the morning to dry brine pork ribs or trim season and grill.
    Wait until the dry rub tacks up so it will not fall off the ribs, before putting the ribs on the grill.
    Pork ribs left in a brine, wet or dry may start to turn into ham, or so I am lead to believe. This kind of happened to me but the ribs were tasty, nonetheless.

Comment

I find a longer dry brine on pork gives it a more of a hammy/cured flavor. Whether that is good or bad depends on personal preference

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Reason I stopped. Too hammy.

Curing comes from using nitrates so I'm not sure about the hammy taste thing unless ya'll are talking about this one ....

I generally dry brine for 24 hours with all proteins. I know some guys go even longer on thicker cuts. It's about letting the salt ions penetrate the meat to the maximum absorption possible. That takes time.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        We cure with nitrites, and nothing says ham like NaCl and well cooked pork.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I stand corrected, nitrites (not nitrates) are for curing while straight salt is for brining. The point I tried to make is I’ve never had pork turn to ham by allowing salt brining to work over 24 hours or longer.

I don't do as many ribs as I do pork butts. On those I try to go at least 24, preferably 48 hours. Did one a week ago that brined for 48 hours that I thought was one of the best I've ever done. I didn't notice any hamminess, but it sure had flavor. Ribs don't have as far for the salt to penetrate, so it shouldn't take as long for the same results. I think this is a great experiment. Do it and tell us your results.
      Last edited by Bogy; September 1, 2021, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Richard, I might dry brine Wibs ever so lightly the night before or the morning before, like 4 to 6 hours, that’s it. Wibs is not one of those things that I emphasize with the brining. Take her easy. Just me sayin. 🕶

Comment

• grantgallagher
          grantgallagher commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, i usually dont even brine ribs. Thaw them, trim them, hit them with salt/rub and back in the fridge while the i get the charcoal rolling. Soon as the cooker is ready they go on.

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          I follow grantgallagher lead for my ribs.
          The only thing I may add is brushing on Mayo before I dry rub.
          Gotta watch it though my wife loves egg salad samages....I use all the mayo, oh boy....

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          I have no salt in my rubs.

I bit a couple racks of baby backs with my usual rub which has salt in it yesterday afternoon. They went on the Recteq about 11:00. I never did the overnight brine so we’ll see how they come out in a few hours!

Comment

I don’t see a problem here only benefits as others have noted. I leave meat with a dry brine on an extra day all the time with no ill effects.

Comment

Well, no one even tried to convince me of other. So, I will try 48 hours of food prep for a while ,rather then trying to hit all ribs, and 2nd day of baking at same time.
            Last edited by Richard Chrz; September 1, 2021, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	89B0CA0D-1821-4015-B092-2887D487DC86.jpeg
Views:	331
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	1086900Click image for larger version

Name:	18779D82-C8E7-4076-B810-74080D0017A2.jpeg
Views:	305
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	1086901 Well to follow up, my ribs turned out awesome after a 24 hour dry brine. No "hammy" characteristics at all. Just delish.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
                Richard Chrz commented
                Editing a comment
                Great looking ribs. 24 is my standard, I’m looking to do 48.

Considering that it takes time for salt to penetrate at refrigerator temperatures. A 24 hr brine is enough to get to the center of pork ribs. Longer certainly doesn’t hurt. And even shorter works because when heated the salt will travel further if it has a head start.

invention, future, greg blonder,cBBQ, food science, genuineideas, toys, genes, darwin, growth of internet, venture capital, deep time

I’ve not had hammy results at 48. I think you have to go longer for that.

Comment

I quit. I put a little salt at smoking.

Comment

• smokin fool
                  smokin fool commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I really cut down the salt, my homemade dry rub may have a level tablespoon of rub of salt per batch. A batch is about 4 cups worth.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here