Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Butt Cook/Reheat Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Butt Cook/Reheat Question

Hi Everyone,

We are headed to the family camp this weekend for Labor day and I would like to cook a pork butt ahead of time at home and reheat it up at camp. I am looking for suggestions on the best cook/reheat method. Up at camp we have a small gas grill and and Aussie Walk-A-Bout charcoal grill. Camp is a rustic cabin, so no electricity or oven. I do have a Dutch oven and a fire pit. I'm looking forward to your suggestions.

Sous vi... wait.

I'd pull the pork at home, wrap tightly in 2-3 layers of foil and reheat near the fire or, if the charcoal grill can do it, via indirect heat there.

Comment

• efincoop
      efincoop commented
      Editing a comment
      Sous vi... wait. Exactly! Hahaha... I think I'll go with the vacuum sealed bag as opposed to just wrapping.

Dutch oven in the fire or on the grill. Shake in some extra rub and a stick or two of butter and stir often.

Of course, I've never been camping...

Comment

• efincoop
      efincoop commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL! I like it. I'm no Kent Rollins, so it would likely be the Dutch oven over charcoal!

I find that pulled pork reheats well - even from frozen. I often freeze it in vacuum bags and reheat either by dropping into a pot of hot (not boiling) water for a few minutes, or put in a foil covered pan in the oven for an hour at low heat.

I think if I were traveling with it, I would go ahead and smoke it now, pull the pork, and freeze in meal sized portions at home. That way it travels well in the cooler, and keep it on ice until its time to serve. You could then drop it in hot water in in bags you know are waterproof (I know Foodsaver vacuum bags are), or even just dump it all in your dutch oven with the lid on, and reheat on low heat, stirring the meat around occasionally. If doing the dutch oven I would add a little moisture if possible, maybe in the form of a cup of bbq sauce everyone likes.
    Last edited by jfmorris; August 30, 2021, 03:13 PM.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      efincoop I like the idea of indirect on the grill. That may be less likely to overcook things than you might if you put the dutch oven in the fire. The dutch oven would be more manly though, haha! If you have one of those dutch ovens with the recessed lid, a few coals on top as well as underneath may be all it takes.

• DavidNorcross
      DavidNorcross commented
      Editing a comment
      ^^This^^

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes effy, you want to be manly & put on a show like yer cookin sumthin. jf’s idea of the Dutch oven is great, just watch the heat. Oh, have a manly spoon also! 🕶

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll report back on how it all goes down!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here