Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Pork Cut for Rotisserie on a Smoker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Pork Cut for Rotisserie on a Smoker?

Hey all,
    I'm running a Primo XL kamado style smoker. My wife gave me a rotisserie for my birthday a few months ago. I was able to successfully cook a whole chicken on it (trussing that thing was a PIA).
    I've got the urge to trying it again, but this time with a pork roast. I've been poking around the internet a bit, and it seems like the only roasts mentioned are either a pork butt or a pork loin. Do you have any other suggestions? I just wanna be sure I use the best cut of meat for this...
    I can't really control the temp using the rotisserie, as the lid of my smoker is propped up a bit by the rotisserie... All I can really control is making sure I bank the coals to either side and control the amount of lump charcoal I use... Any other thoughts on that?
    Just wanting to get some ideas from experienced smokers...

Thanks,

Tim

What about stuffed pork tendetoin? Edit: neither of these pics are pork tenderloins as pointed out by Rob whatever but I'll post one below.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Eglt96a0Vno6L38DLS1tENWNK4bYHxO-9xS_nxl1-Dlec_paLStUK1HTCB25DIAdGLQd6GuxEp9rBjEz1ML4bkbUKB_oT2yruDOGoSOOhQA4NNlCfVNRIKlTaXbqV_CV5UXQ7RqXtME_CVvhbeHxv3igX4fA-vJrBr6ZVasNMAGv4iJZxl8BjBeRRUVK4PU05DClea2ndubjU8e4foquSZZBiG0v0HeV1i8L23t3FpaYZlhpotOLbDx5BYiFmW4 Views:	21 Size:	453.2 KB ID:	1083613

Click image for larger version  Name:	ezAkdpb6PblOKngjHeHQJmLoaYgI3oXFSWSx54WKqXN2wHgTFxFWsdx7o0UzxI-Y0et23JbykrqRvpAY56j0jLXdqOp_VYlWNAPT3cPDOg9wB3jJDEJLxyCV5BmPtAtgi2jNXifDTBba6QX9kQgfVbDtspZmWYF2CbxgFVW7elu2xSUDIEuqTYsSMhvuqF3Bc4M6FxduyUAkC1Ndrj5H4ozeoxWA9sKeAEhmbsICK7TitBcMqCrkqh2TJ4yVQcF Views:	20 Size:	494.7 KB ID:	1083614
    Last edited by Attjack; August 26, 2021, 07:19 PM.

Comment

• Rob whatever
      Rob whatever commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks like a pork loin.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      My bad.
      Last edited by Attjack; August 26, 2021, 07:27 PM.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha! I double checked and the picture above is a BEEF tenderloin. But you're right, the one below is in fact a pork loin! I'll post an actual pork tenderloin pic below.

Can I see a pic of your Primo with the rotisserie attached and the lid closed?
    Last edited by Attjack; August 26, 2021, 08:05 PM.

Comment

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes please!

Stuffed pork loin roast ala bbqpitboys.com. Kind of a faux porchetta. Really good. I do it on my Weber kettle rotisserie. Easy.
    Last edited by Jfrosty27; August 26, 2021, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Another from bbqpitboys.com.
      Peppered chicken thighs. Just awesome. You use bone in, skin on, chicken thighs. They can take all the heat you give them. Just delish.

Comment

Picture of the pork tenderloin I promised above.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tQfvKTOwMA29kSN8G-N4_UfJrZXdPL3ZKxBkhrvKybsWWDbgxWUd4P75PM-tsprn-tai4NyQdoO4pbvyHIUyddDcft91v0u6cUTlNGWZXUBANjDmvaiNeKw4nlrD5M8v6mtkDCO7MnaLQ6m4SGPYm5JSE6qNtm0PQ3nMXarOnDJS4H4aYPhYWRAjG3zAh_ukkik91VxVwRItOUMTlVe3Kyzvz_T6Frei6F-GTObxDQPweQzRQuBSHjDEIj39CWV
Views:	348
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	1083696

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          I have also doubled up pork tenderloins on the rotisserie which is what I thought I had posted above.

Name:	9D6DDD73-8246-4A15-A380-77BE57127C33.jpeg
Views:	350
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	1083736 I’m a huge fan or pork loin on the rotisserie on my Weber Genesis gasser. Wrapped in bacon, rubbed with MMD, spritzed with apple juice or Strongbow, can’t go wrong!!!!

Name:	C1715555-A353-4018-AA10-13C47EA1A527.jpeg
Views:	334
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	1083737

Comment

I’ve done this on a rotisserie before and it is excellent. Even though my pics shown are done on the grill without a rotisserie. Slice open a pork loin and insert jalapeños and cream cheese. Wrap in bacon and sprinkle with Tony Chachere’s. Oh yeah!
          Attached Files

Comment

Lechon liempo - rolled pork belly with with a inside rub of olive oil, garlic paste, Kosher salt, white vinegar (cane vinegar if you have Filipino market is a better alternative), and black pepper.

The meat will have that wonderful garlicky flavor and you get the bonus of crispy chicharron.

Comment

The quintessential taste of Italy is not pasta, not pizza, not Barolo, and not olive oil. It is porchetta, a rich, fatty, herby, crazy fragrant, crazy good, boneless pork roast swaddled in incredibly crunchy pork cracklins, sliced, and served on a rustic bun.

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                You beat me to it

All I can say is wow... Those loin pics are beautiful (can I say that here???). I'll be doing one of those this weekend hopefully.
              The rotisserie setup on the primo is a little weird. It uses a mount that sits inside the primo. Unfortunately, it doesn't allow me to close it all the way, so temp is pretty much impossible to control other than not using so much lump and banking the coals. It worked ok for chicken, because it cooks relatively fast. Not sure how well it will work with a pork loin but I'll give it a go.
              Attjack, I'll try to post a pic today after I get off work.

Comment

Estes916, There is very little information on the Primo website about the rotisserie. Is this the one you have:

If so, it looks like it closes in the front edge of the lid, and probably causes a gap in the back where air leaks in?

That said, I have a rotisserie for my Weber kettle, and with the rotisserie ring installed, there are enough leaks that you do lose some effectiveness in controlling the fire through the bottom and top dampers. I've seen that discussed as an issue on rotisseries for many kamado grills as well.

I would not worry too much about it, as rotisserie cooking is in fact about exposure of the meat to RADIANT heat, but not constant - that's why you spin it. If you've ever seen the vertical rotisseries used to make meat in a Gyro shop, those have a flame in the back, and spin the meat past it. You want a nice hot fire, but only to one side. I bank the coals to one side when using my Weber kettle rotisserie, and it works out fine even with the leaks caused by the rotisserie ring.
                Last edited by jfmorris; August 27, 2021, 09:08 AM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes, Jim, (@jfmorris ) that's what I was talking about in my previous comment. I have a rotisserie with an IR burner on my Summit. I just used it for the first time ever last night. There's plenty of clearance as you can see from the photos. I didn't even remove the grates for the pork loin cook last night.

I was just wondering if a kettle rotisserie would flavor the chicken better than the Summit gasser. And if it would taste better than chicken done in the PBC, which is tough to beat.

K.
                  Last edited by fzxdoc; August 30, 2021, 08:50 AM.

• Panhead John
                  Panhead John commented
                  Editing a comment
                  fzxdoc The best chicken I’ve EVER cooked was done on the rotisserie on a gasser I used to have, with a rear IR setup just like yours. Give it a try! Here’s what I did. Marinated a whole chicken in Good Seasons Italian Dressing, inside and out for a few hours. Sprinkled it all over with Tony Chachere’s, inside as well. That’s it! I don’t remember the cook time but it must have been around an hour and a half. Anyway, everyone said it was some of the best chicken they’ve ever had.
                  Last edited by Panhead John; August 30, 2021, 08:12 AM.

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hey, Panhead John , I just read this comment after I commented on another one. Yup, I did 2 chickens on the Summit gasser with the IR burner. I dry brined them with PBC's All Purpose rub, one of our fav rubs for chicken. It turned out great, so juicy! I'll never roast a chicken in the oven again. This way is so much easier and the cleanup is zero, Win-win.

K.

Inspired by Ricky Bobby and Panhead John , I decided to fire up my Weber Summit gasser last night using the rotisserie feature along with its infrared burner. I'm embarrassed to say that I've never used the rotisserie even once in the 13 years that I've had the gasser. Since there are so few virgin experiences left in my life, it was time to give it a try.

I had purchased a bacon-wrapped pork loin in a citrus-based marinade from Sam's Club earlier in the week. So it was pretty snappy, pun intended, just to wrap the loin using the reusable silicone cooking bands that are so easy, slide it onto the spit, and get the ball rolling.

Pork removed at 135°. Nice and juicy.

Here are photos for the non-believers:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Rotisserie Pork 1 of 3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	138.5 KB ID:	1084395

Click image for larger version  Name:	Rotisserie Pork 2 of 3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.5 KB ID:	1084396

Click image for larger version  Name:	Rotisserie Pork 3 of 3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	98.3 KB ID:	1084397

The meat was flavorful but just a tad too salty for my husband's tastes. Such us usually the case with packinghouse-prepped pork loins. I'm a salt-aholic, so I thought it was pretty tasty.

It was a fun, quick cook: 30 minutes at gasser temps just north of 400° to reach 135° internal, sat a bit while I got the rest of the sides to the table, sliced and served. No mess to clean up on the gasser except the spit and prongs.

I had such a great time figuring it out. I watched a Weber You Tube video for rotisserie cooks on the Summit, so I was not concerned when the IR burner caused me to haul out my gas detector to see when the gas finally got to it, since it had never been used. Once I got that going, it was easy peasy all the way.

Today a whole chicken will follow me home from the market. I'll make that for hubby while I dine on pork leftovers.

Kathryn
                Last edited by fzxdoc; August 28, 2021, 09:29 AM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Panhead John, the next night I rotisseried 2 chickens on it. That thing is so much fun to use, with great results. Thanks for the inspiration!

K.
                  Last edited by fzxdoc; August 30, 2021, 08:47 AM.

• Panhead John
                  Panhead John commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Kathryn, whoever is reading your comments must be wondering what you’re smoking. 😂. YOU, thanking ME for inspiration. 😂. Anyway thanks! And I’m glad they turned out so well.

• Panhead John
                  Panhead John commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Kathryn, One thing I noticed, is your rotisserie the 2 pronged type? The prongs you put in the meat? Mine is also. I’m going to order me the 4 pronged type so I’ll have both. I’ve found my 2 prongs fall a little short sometimes on holding a pork loin. But I’m gonna check out those bands you used also.

Pork Collar (AKA Coppa, AKA Money Muscle)

Name:	raw.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	1084425

Name:	2a.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	1084426

Name:	sliced.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	1084427

Comment

Our Butcher cuts a Pork Sirloin Roast which we like. It's not as much fat as a Shoulder Roast but much more fat and marbling than a Pork Loin.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here