Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with Boston Butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buddysexton
    replied
    Great Advice! I really appreciate you sharing your wisdom. It will help me next time. Thanks again!!

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    standin by.

• rickgregory
    replied
    So, while it's accurate to say that temp is a reference point vs an absolute, it's also generally true that a pork butt will be done around 200-210. It's not like some of them need to go to 250 internal temp.

That's why it's important to watch where you put the probe so that you get an accurate picture of what the internal temp likely is. If the probe is not deep in the center of the meat, away from any bone, you will likely be getting an inaccurate picture of where the butt is in its progress.

Leave a comment:

• Swug
    replied
    I agree that temp is a reference point. I recently smoked 2 butts to 203 and removed without checking fir probe tenderness. After receiving many helpful comments I will from now on keep on smoker till either bone removes freely and /or tender when probed. Have two on right now. Will give update.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    replied
    Definitely ascribin to th School of yer temp indications weren't readin accurate...

Leave a comment:

• JeffJ
    replied
    I always check with a Therma pen as I don't always get optimal placement with my probe thermometer.

Leave a comment:

• texastweeter
    replied
    I take mine to 208° and if you drop it, it will pull itself. Your temp was off is my final answer. Should have taken way longer.

Leave a comment:

• LA Pork Butt
    commented on 's reply
    My initial thought was the thermometer was off, but touching the bone could have been the problem. I typically cook at 225 to an internal temp of 200. Then I wrap and let it rest 2-4 hours in an ice chest. I never had a tough one.

• RogueCookers
    replied
    Higher than 203-205 it would be mush not tough. I would first calibrate that Fireboard. Always have a Thermapen for Final temp readings is my advice. Someone stated above about 1.5 hrs per lb is right for 275 ish temp. I have a Pork Butt Recipe and Process on Head Country BBQ website. https://www.headcountry.com/recipe/l...ree-bbq-sauce/

Leave a comment:

• bbqLuv
    replied
    You are getting really good advice, time and temp are guides, and using the butt for chili, etc.
    I made a similar error with ribs, tough, I just wrapped in foil again and back into the pellet grill again until tender.

Leave a comment:

• holehogg
    commented on 's reply
    Think it was my second or third butt in early 2018 and a whopping 17 pound hunk. Took just short of 27 hours at 210F. Lessons learnt that cook. I will add it did turn out fantadtic.

• DavidNorcross
    replied
    I agree with others, dont give up. I would also be curious of your cook temp. Typically butts take longer than 9 hours. I have had some go 15 or more. But as others have said every piece of meat is different. Hang in there.

Leave a comment:

• Red Man
    replied
    I don’t worry much about meat temp until it hits 180-190. Then I move the probe around to find the coolest spot and leave it there.

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    This ^^^^

If your probe was touching bone, then the temperature could have been totally off. I always probe in multiple places once my cooking alarm goes off at 203F, and leave it on until it probes like warm butter throughout.

• radiodome21
    replied
    Poking with an instant thermometer is how I know when it’s done. Once the temperature is consistently showing above 205 then I know it’s done. I’ve made 3 butts this summer in my pellet smokers and I really don’t even need the instant thermometer to tell me when it’s done. When I’m handling a done butt it’s like handling jello. But much better.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here