Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about country-style ribs... cooking today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boftx
    commented on 's reply
    Not withstanding what I already said, you can wrap 'em all up in foil at about 150 with some butter and molasses and maybe a touch of maple syrup and take 'em up to 170 give or take and have a fine meal.

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Agree with all. Except in my store "country ribs" are usually sliced butt/shoulder. But surely it's different dep. where you go.

• boftx
    replied
    I go for around 160 give or take. They are still moist and tender. You're not going to pull them, so why bother going higher? You won't get much drippings if you wrap because the juices you want to trap don't start until about 165 - 170, and you won't get that much anyway. Make your own sauce or baste a bit with store bought, won't make much difference as long as you like it.

They ain't loin, and they ain't ribs, and they ain't shoulder. Just get 'em done and they're good eatin'.

Leave a comment:

• Mosca
    commented on 's reply
    A clarification, too: I grill my country styles because the ones with the little curved bones are actually chops. If you cook them low and slow they dry out. The ones that are shoulder steaks cook better low and slow.

• Mosca
    replied
    Originally posted by SwampDonkeyzBBQ View Post
    Generally, most "country style" pork ribs are just sliced, bone in, pork butt.
    Around here they are usually from the rib. Sometimes shoulder chops are included, but they are almost always those long chops with a small 1" to 2" curved rib bone at one end.

I coat them with a rub and grill them until they look done, then simmer them in a pot full of BBQ sauce until they are tender. That's how my mom made them. They come out pretty freakin' good that way.

There is also a website dedicated to country style rib recipes: http://www.countrystyleribs.org

Leave a comment:

• gcdmd
    replied
    mayapoppa, the second one from the top in your initial photo appears to have a piece of rib in it. The bottom one is clearly a section through the scapula (shoulder blade or seven bone) containing what is called the spine of the scapula (not the same as the chine or backbone), all of which supports the contention that you have sections of shoulder or butt.

Leave a comment:

• Harry
    replied
    Today (2 Apr 2016), I'll be following, as instructed, the America's Test Kitchen recipe for "Barbecued Country-Style Ribs" as it appears in the ATK "Best Ingredients/Best Recipes" magazine from late Summer 2015 @ page 78. The recipe notes that the meat pieces are not really ribs but are chops from the blade end of the loin and that the recipe, which calls for pounding the chops into 3/4 inch thick slabs and slathering with some sauce then grilling, covered, somewhat indirectly to 125 degrees then finishing, uncovered with more slather, directly over high heat to 145 degrees [THANK YOU, Thermapen!] is not really "barbecue". I put all that source info in there in case somebody wants to try this recipe instead of the more traditional approaches listed earlier in the thread.

I'm just happy to be putting stuff on coals so if the head chef in the house wants me to follow her chosen recipe and if she is making the slather, I'm ready. We're doing fresh (?) corn, too, on the grill.

NEXT time, I'm following the DWCowles/Pit Boys "Jacks Ribs" method.

Leave a comment:

• mayapoppa
    commented on 's reply
    Maybe... there was significant color difference in the meat when cooked. I read somewhere else that this isn't surprising for these things.

• Brisket Syndicate
    commented on 's reply
    Looks Good!

• Brisket Syndicate
    replied
    Generally, most "country style" pork ribs are just sliced, bone in, pork butt.

Leave a comment:

• smarkley
    commented on 's reply
    weird... like they mixed some chops in with it?

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    Nice. I don't mind the dry, I actually prefer a whiter drier meat, unless we are talking about wild duck.

I've done these a few times. Plan to do some again soon.

Leave a comment:

• mayapoppa
    replied
    So they came out great... thanks to everyone who chimed in. There is certainly a range of meat in these... some are very white, like a pork chop, and some are much darker, more like the shoulder. I took them up to 180-190, and (no surprise) the darker meat was wonderful and tender, but the whiter meat was a bit dry. Not sure I would do these again, as the variation makes it difficult.

Here are some pics, and again, thanks!

Leave a comment:

• mayapoppa
    commented on 's reply
    @Huskee... that is a perfectly timed suggestion. The day got away from me a bit, and I started them a little later than planned. They are closing in on 170, and I'd like to eat within an hour. Also, do you (or anyone else with knowledge of these things) cambro them?

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    To add to your confusion, I've cooked them until 180-190 with good results. I'd never do that with actual ribs or actual solid pork butt, but with these they were plenty yum. Just an option for you if you find yourself impatient and running out of time.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here