Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doing a Pork Shoulder Sunday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing a Pork Shoulder Sunday

Pulled a 3# out of freezer. I've done Boston Butt in the past. I know both are from the shoulder top butt and shoulder bottom. Going to do on Kettle. Should I just approach like a butt? Advise appreciated.

Yup, same same... enjoy, an watch that lil rascal close!!! 3 lbs?

Have a Great Cook, Amigo!

Comment

"Butt" is just a nickname for pork [front] shoulder. Same thing, same process.

Comment

According to Cooks Illustrated:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Pork_Butt_vs_Shoulder_1x1.png
Views:	459
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	1077207
      Pork Butt

Name:	SIL_GTK_EssentialPorkCuts_Butt_02.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	1077209

Pork Shoulder:

Name:	SIL_GTK_EssentialPorkCuts_PicnicShoulder_03.png
Views:	300
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1077208

Pork Butt vs. Pork Shoulder
      Also known as "Boston butt" Also known as "picnic shoulder" or "picnic roast"
      Well marbled with intramuscular fat Typically has less intramuscular fat and marbling
      Often sold with fat cap intact Frequently sold with skin on
      Rectangular, uniform shape Tapered, triangular shape
      Sold as bone-in and boneless If boneless, typically sold in netting; when netting is removed, meat "unfolds" into uneven layer
      When to Use Pork Butt

Since pork butt has more fat marbling throughout the meat and a more uniform shape, it’s the best cut for stewing and braising as well as for making fall-apart-tender pulled pork for a barbecue or for tacos. If a recipe calls for a choice between pork shoulder and pork butt, we highly recommend choosing pork butt.

When to Use Pork Shoulder

Pork shoulder is our cut of choice when making a pork roast that calls for crackling-crisp skin (such as our Cuban-Style Oven-Roasted Pork), since the cut is sold with the skin on.

All of this is really nice (thanks for the free side info, CI) but I've often seen pork butts labeled as pork shoulder in our grocery store.

Kathryn

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Where I shop, Butt and Shoulder are used interchangeably, and Picnic is the leg portion/lower shoulder. So while I agree, it's the not going to be that way in the stores & shops for everyone whcih makes it tough to standardize terminology.

I agree with Bkhuna above and the IMPS specification. I’ve always read where the whole thing is call the "shoulder" which is subdivided into the "butt" (a term referring to the barrels they were stored in) and the lower half or the "picnic". I think Cook’s Illustrated is wrong in this instance. Seems more of a matter of semantics really.

Bottom line to the OP, cook it the same way.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Goes to show you that we can't really standardize the terminology. Is it pop or soda?

Originally posted by Mr. Bones View Post
      Yup, same same... enjoy, an watch that lil rascal close!!! 3 lbs?

Have a Great Cook, Amigo!
      As Mr. Bones said - watch it close, 3 lbs is fairly small and will cook fast, also don’t go crazy on getting the bark too deep or you won’t have much of the tender part.

Comment

I picked up a two "pork shoulders" yesterday. One might have also had "butt" somewhere on the label. To lazy to go look right now. One is a little shoulder, about 4 lbs, in netting (which I will be sure to remove this time, took off all my bark the last time I forgot). That will be for my wife and myself sometime. The other is about 12 lbs. with a bone. That one will be for a few days from now when the grandchildren come to stay for a few days. They will be cooked the same way, but the big one will take a lot longer.

Comment

Note to self: reading comprehension is important!

I bought a "pork shoulder" from Winn Dixie to make pulled pork for tomorrow (July 4th, 2023). Usually I buy "pork butt" at BJ's warehouse (like a Costco). I was not paying attention and thought the meat looked good but had an unusually thick fat cap. Oh well, I know how to trim a fat cap.

So I JUST NOW finished trimming and dry-brining this thing. My first clue that things were not right was the skin. Then the bone, which goes all the way through. So, I have a "pork picnic shoulder," which it said on the label if I had bothered to pay attention. Lol.

It's too late now. I'm taking the advice of the previous gurus on this thread (and a few other threads) and tossing it on the smoker in the early AM to make pulled pork. Wish me luck!

Comment

I just bought at Kroger yesterday a pork shoulder which i would call a pork butt. It was definitely a butt like i have cooked many times. It is confusing.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here