Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doing a Pork Shoulder Sunday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing a Pork Shoulder Sunday

Pulled a 3# out of freezer. I've done Boston Butt in the past. I know both are from the shoulder top butt and shoulder bottom. Going to do on Kettle. Should I just approach like a butt? Advise appreciated.

Yup, same same... enjoy, an watch that lil rascal close!!! 3 lbs?

Have a Great Cook, Amigo!

Comment

"Butt" is just a nickname for pork [front] shoulder. Same thing, same process.

Comment

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        No, the butt is not the same. The butt is what remains after the picnic is removed from the shoulder.

https://www.ams.usda.gov/sites/defau...ork%5B1%5D.pdf

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Isn't a pork [rear] shoulder, technically a hip? LOL

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Bkhuna Yes, touche. I thought it was implied that we were not talking about the leg/picnic portion.

According to Cooks Illustrated:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Pork_Butt_vs_Shoulder_1x1.png
Views:	235
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	1077207
      Pork Butt

Name:	SIL_GTK_EssentialPorkCuts_Butt_02.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	1077209

Pork Shoulder:

Name:	SIL_GTK_EssentialPorkCuts_PicnicShoulder_03.png
Views:	155
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1077208

Pork Butt vs. Pork Shoulder
      Also known as "Boston butt" Also known as "picnic shoulder" or "picnic roast"
      Well marbled with intramuscular fat Typically has less intramuscular fat and marbling
      Often sold with fat cap intact Frequently sold with skin on
      Rectangular, uniform shape Tapered, triangular shape
      Sold as bone-in and boneless If boneless, typically sold in netting; when netting is removed, meat "unfolds" into uneven layer
      When to Use Pork Butt

Since pork butt has more fat marbling throughout the meat and a more uniform shape, it’s the best cut for stewing and braising as well as for making fall-apart-tender pulled pork for a barbecue or for tacos. If a recipe calls for a choice between pork shoulder and pork butt, we highly recommend choosing pork butt.

When to Use Pork Shoulder

Pork shoulder is our cut of choice when making a pork roast that calls for crackling-crisp skin (such as our Cuban-Style Oven-Roasted Pork), since the cut is sold with the skin on.

All of this is really nice (thanks for the free side info, CI) but I've often seen pork butts labeled as pork shoulder in our grocery store.

Kathryn

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Where I shop, Butt and Shoulder are used interchangeably, and Picnic is the leg portion/lower shoulder. So while I agree, it's the not going to be that way in the stores & shops for everyone whcih makes it tough to standardize terminology.

I agree with Bkhuna above and the IMPS specification. I’ve always read where the whole thing is call the “shoulder” which is subdivided into the “butt” (a term referring to the barrels they were stored in) and the lower half or the “picnic”. I think Cook’s Illustrated is wrong in this instance. Seems more of a matter of semantics really.

Bottom line to the OP, cook it the same way.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Goes to show you that we can't really standardize the terminology. Is it pop or soda?

Originally posted by Mr. Bones View Post
      Yup, same same... enjoy, an watch that lil rascal close!!! 3 lbs?

Have a Great Cook, Amigo!
      As Mr. Bones said - watch it close, 3 lbs is fairly small and will cook fast, also don’t go crazy on getting the bark too deep or you won’t have much of the tender part.

Comment

I picked up a two "pork shoulders" yesterday. One might have also had "butt" somewhere on the label. To lazy to go look right now. One is a little shoulder, about 4 lbs, in netting (which I will be sure to remove this time, took off all my bark the last time I forgot). That will be for my wife and myself sometime. The other is about 12 lbs. with a bone. That one will be for a few days from now when the grandchildren come to stay for a few days. They will be cooked the same way, but the big one will take a lot longer.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        Rubs Promo

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These are some of our favorite tools and toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder’s fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here’s a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys: https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5″ x 29.5″ footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.
        Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Blackstone Rangetop Combo: Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, grilled cheese, and so much more. And why deep fry indoors when you can avoid the smell and mess by doing it outside!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.
        Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Surely you know somebody who loves outdoor cooking who deserves a gift for the holidays, birthday, anniversary, or just for being wonderful. There he is, right in the mirror! Here are our selections of best ideas, all Platinum or Gold Medalists, listed by price.

Click here to see our list of Gold Medal Gifts

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

Napoleon’s 22″ Pro Cart Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It’s hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the 22″ Pro Cart a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

The Efficiency Of A Kamado Plus The Flexibility Of The Slow ‘N Sear Insert

kamado grill
        Built around SnS Grill’s patented Slow ‘N Sear charcoal kettle accessory, this 22-inch kamado is a premium ceramic grill that brings true 2-zone cooking to a kamado.

Click here for our article on this exciting cooker

Compact Powerful Sear Machine For Your Next Tailgater

Char-Broil’s Grill2Go x200 is a super-portable, fun little sizzler made of heavy, rust-proof cast aluminum. The lid snaps shut. Grab the handle and you’re off to the party! Char-Broil’s TRU-Infrared design produces searing heat while reducing fuel consumption. A 16 ounce LP gas canister is enough to keep you flipping burgers for hours.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order