Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork butt at 225 takes forever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork butt at 225 takes forever

Just cooked a pork butt at 225 and 16 hrs 45 mins i took it out, I stopped cooking at this temp awhile ago and forgot how long it takes, hopefully its deadly ill be tearing into it soon. I ended up pulling it at 202. My guru agreed with the tru temp on my backwoods so there not off.

Oh yeah, it is a marathon. I love my Pit Barrel and its 275-325 cooking temps.

Comment

• Stevehtn
      Stevehtn commented
      Editing a comment
      +1

I usually cook 250 to 275. But thought it would buy me a little time, plus i watched meatheads videos and got brainwashed. Lol

Comment

I'm about to start a 14 lb. shoulder--in the oven because I can't easily monitor the grill overnight. I'm concerned about the temp and timing. Any recommendations. Was going to salt and rub it and cover it the whole time with foil.

/mike

Comment

mitchellzone I'd split that dude in two. Then run 275 with the meat on the top rack and a pan of water on the bottom rack. When they get dark enough, then wrap and take to probe tender.

Comment

I wouldnt cut in two, run a warmer temp though, 275 or 250 depending on when you want it for. My 225 cook was almost 17 hrs an it was a large market sized hog, and was still easily read for supper today

Comment

I had the time thats why i ran so low. Plus i made an extended coal basket for my backwoods an did not have to even open the fire box door

Comment

Split in two how? So it's in two thinner pieces or two shorter pieces? What's dark enough, and do you mean wrap in foil or just cover the pan in foil?

I'm doing pulled pork, so I assume 203 degrees?

Comment

Also, how long should I expect if I cut in half or don't? I don't want it to get to done in the middle of the night. I want it ready for lunch tomorrow. Thanks!

Comment

Alot of people foil when the colour of the meat is where they like, an it does help power through the stall. Stay 250 and above for lunch. 225 may be awhile after. If your planning on foiling the whole time thats fine and you can brown it up in a high temp oven or even just grill the whole thing the next day to give it a crust. Personally i would roll at 250 and you could always turn the temp up a little. If your rub has sugar in it it may start to burn at 300

Comment

As far as my cook the meat was actually dryer than normal I usually run 250 and foil it. This time I didn't foil but i did sleep all night

Comment

I cook at 225 and wrap at 160. The bark is very well set by then. My butts usually take less than 10 hours but I let rest in a faux cambro for 2-3 hours. I have let a butt rest up to 6 hours and had an IT of 154

Comment

• grantw
                        grantw commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Ya I didn't wrap either, plus I just wanted to sleep, I was abit surprised it stalled so long though, it must have stalled for 6 hrs. I'll look at the graph
                        Last edited by grantw; September 6, 2015, 08:09 PM.

So, for 14 pounds at 250, are we talking 12 hours? more? less? Trying to figure out what time I'll need to put it in to be ready for shredding by 10:30am.

Cutting it's been decided for me as it fell into pieces when taking it out of the package. I think I'm stuck with it being in the pan and not on a rack.

Comment

• grantw
                        grantw commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Why did it fall into pieces? Is it deboned?

• mitchellzone
                        mitchellzone commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes, it was.

Okay, I've got it in the oven as of 9:15 at 250, foiled with a probe. So hopefully I can get a full night's sleep without needing to get up, check the temp in the morning, and take it out a bit early if it's done.

Comment

It looks like it stalled from 6 am to 12 pm, I just looked at the graph, I took it off at 130 because I had to go, it all turned out good though

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here