Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smithfield ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All last summer I was able to find Prairie Farms Nature babybacks at the local grocery. They were consistently the best I've ever found. Now of course they're no longer available. Waaah.

Kathryn

Comment

• Red Man
      Red Man commented
      Editing a comment
      My local grocery has carried this brand consistently for years. It pretty decent for commodity pork.

• Randy-Phx
      Randy-Phx commented
      Editing a comment
      I get them at Sprouts but I don’t know if Sprouts is available in your area.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed, Redman . I like them better than the other BBs available around here. The flavor is much more piggy.

Randy-Phx , not a Sprout in sight. We're pretty rural with the closest bigger groceries an hour or so away. That's why it was so great to find that brand at our local grocery. I bought as many as would fit into my already-full big freezer.

K.

I haven't bought any Smithfield products in years due to their current ownership. Luckily, I have found locally sourced heritage breeds as a replacement. Currently $6/lbs for spare ribs...a bit pricey, but the flavor makes up for it IMHO.

Comment

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      If I had access to locally sourced heritage breeds for $6/lb., I would do that a lot more often.

I wish we had some choices. All we get are crappy-@$$ TYSON ribs which are usually not great. The Smithfield and Swift ribs I've been lucky enough to find on a rare occasion are usually better.

I wish like heck we had some decent ribs around here. I need to look into shipping some decent ribs in...

Comment

I am picky when it comes to buying ribs. I don't want the bones showing and I want them to have a certain "look". My wife asks what do the need to look like? I reply "They need to look they will be great on the bbq", she just rolls her eyes....oh well. Folks here will understand.

Comment

Tonight’s Smithfield’s
        Click image for larger version

Name:	A61724E7-9BF8-494E-990A-35E94AE59B62.jpeg
Views:	205
Size:	275.8 KB
ID:	1077093

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Oooooh, so pretty!

K.

• Sweaty Paul
          Sweaty Paul commented
          Editing a comment
          Gorgeous gorgeous!

Be careful with the WalMart Smithfields. I ordered a couple racks from grocery pickup last weekend, and they were the "extra tender" ones. They’re brined in some sort of phosphate solution, and the texture was just way too mushy for my tastes. I’d make sure they don’t have that label if I bought again.

Comment

>>Be careful with the WalMart Smithfields. I ordered a couple racks from grocery pickup last weekend, and they were the "extra tender" ones.

I bought a single rack of those back in July. They were super thin and flexible in package (I could roll it up), and the last third was all but boneless. But they were also super cheap, and my family was away, so I got them.

They were at best OK, and of course any ribs are better than no ribs at all. But I spent a lot of my eating time spitting out cartilage. In fact, I took the last third and chopped it up, picked out the remaining hard bits, and used it for fried rice later,

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here