Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duroc pork?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mosca
    commented on 's reply
    I think there’s a difference, but don’t think I have an actual preference. Both are great.

• Beefchop
    replied
    As kids we raised Durocs on occasion for the county fair, (we had a dairy farm but pigs were by far the most profitable animal to auction at the fair) and they are simply a breed of hog, as Jaret mentioned. Supposedly renowned for growing quickly and producing quality meat. Esp. bacon. Ours were ornery as hell! I preferred showing Landrace, Yorkies, or Hampshires.
    Last edited by Beefchop; July 28, 2021, 09:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• HawkerXP
    commented on 's reply
    +1

• Starsky
    replied
    I've purchased it from our local grocery store. Definitely a darker meat. It was good to try something different

Leave a comment:

• bbqLuv
    commented on 's reply
    The ribs look amazing but skewer the asparagus--I like it. Wish I thought of that first.

• bbqLuv
    commented on 's reply
    Ditto on HA HA HA HA
    Have a PBR for me.

• Huskee
    replied
    I recently bought some expensive Duroc St Louis cut ribs. I honestly didn't notice any difference. I've read others say that there's a big difference but I didn't notice it myself. They were good, yes, but so are the commodity (Smithfield et al) ribs I usually prepare. [Shrug]

Leave a comment:

• glitchy
    commented on 's reply
    I hadn’t seen that Fareway was doing this. I like Fareway meat, but don’t love it like I used too, mostly because our local store has problems getting help and the quality of the cutting is all over the board. My wife has brought home pieces of meat that anyone that cared would have thrown in the scrap pile for grinding. The Duroc stuff is usually cryovac and not touched in store though.

• Skip
    commented on 's reply
    Yes ChiefK this is all interesting to read. Certified Duroc Pork is very good IMO non the less. Sometimes advertising and labeling is there to promote a product but to get a true picture we need to read between the lines. All good.

• ChiefK
    replied
    Skip thanks for the link. After reading through there, I decided to brave the interwebs and try to find who certifies "certified duroc". take a look at these links https://cookindocs.com/berkshire-vs-duroc-pork/ and https://www.genesus.com/genesus-duro...duroc-program/

It looks like the only requirement to be certified duroc is to use NSR duroc bloodlines. But that has nothing to do with culinary preference. I'm only speaking from memory, and I've been off the farm for a long time, but we were going for lean hogs, thats why we cross bred durocs in. So I'm a bit confused about the designation, translating to higher cost, of "certified duroc". Guess I'll have to break down and buy some, to see if there is any difference in flavor, or if its just marketing

Leave a comment:

• Skip
    replied
    ChiefK here's a link to to Comfrey Farm Pork. Is this what you bought? Very good Pork IMO. I wonder if this is 100% Purebred Duroc? It doesn't say it is on the label anywhere. It may not have to be 100% to be Certified Duroc?? I've had some discussions with Pork Producers (Old Customers) who told me most Hogs are Cross breeds at least somewhat.
    https://comfreyfarmpork.com/
    Last edited by Skip; July 28, 2021, 05:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ChiefK
    replied
    Glitchy,
    It was at the Fareway Meat Market, located in West Ames. First time I'd seen pork labeled like that, and I thought, "Is this legit?" because the durocs we kept for our freezer were mostly turned into sausage of one sort or another, except for chops and tenderloins, which seems a shame now.

btw, that shop is roughly 50 yards in front of a Hy-Vee, funniest thing I've ever seen

Leave a comment:

• Rfhd69
    commented on 's reply
    Haaaaaaa!

• glitchy
    replied
    ChiefK Fareway and Hy-Vee carry Duroc at times too. I’ve tried a few cuts when on sale. I think there’s definitely more flavor there, but I’m not a pork fanatic so I only buy Duroc when it’s on sale. I imagine a lot was sold in the regular pork pool until last few years when they realized they could market it as a heritage breed and sell it for more.

Leave a comment:

• ChiefK
    replied
    Jerod
    yeah, but I don't recall the buying station paying a premium for the red fur, y'know? Yorks we never had good luck with, high strung and didnt do well in hot humid weather, although we did cross breed them with durocs and hampshires from time to time. I just remember them being really lean, so I'm surprised they're being marketed as an upper gtade, like Berkshire pork

maybe I'm just a dumb hick, hahaha

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These are some of our favorite tools and toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder’s fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here’s a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys: https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5″ x 29.5″ footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.
Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Blackstone Rangetop Combo: Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, grilled cheese, and so much more. And why deep fry indoors when you can avoid the smell and mess by doing it outside!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.
Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Surely you know somebody who loves outdoor cooking who deserves a gift for the holidays, birthday, anniversary, or just for being wonderful. There he is, right in the mirror! Here are our selections of best ideas, all Platinum or Gold Medalists, listed by price.

Click here to see our list of Gold Medal Gifts

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

Napoleon’s 22″ Pro Cart Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It’s hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the 22″ Pro Cart a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

The Efficiency Of A Kamado Plus The Flexibility Of The Slow ‘N Sear Insert

kamado grill
Built around SnS Grill’s patented Slow ‘N Sear charcoal kettle accessory, this 22-inch kamado is a premium ceramic grill that brings true 2-zone cooking to a kamado.

Click here for our article on this exciting cooker

Compact Powerful Sear Machine For Your Next Tailgater

Char-Broil’s Grill2Go x200 is a super-portable, fun little sizzler made of heavy, rust-proof cast aluminum. The lid snaps shut. Grab the handle and you’re off to the party! Char-Broil’s TRU-Infrared design produces searing heat while reducing fuel consumption. A 16 ounce LP gas canister is enough to keep you flipping burgers for hours.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order