Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duroc pork?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RonB
    commented on 's reply
    Wait! He got rid of the hog 'cause you ran around and ate the chickens. I hope you plucked them first, and cookin' 'em would have been even better.

• Mosca
    replied
    I’ve had Duroc, Berkshire/Kurobuta, and Cheshire, in addition to the Hatfield (brand, not breed) pork my local supermarket sells. I’ve only had ribs, but I think you can extrapolate to butts/shoulder roasts.

Honestly, they’re all pretty good. The Kurobuta from SRF is delicious, but the racks are very small and I got lots of shiners; I wouldn’t buy them again. The Duroc and Cheshire are both great. I prefer the Cheshire, but there is probably a recency bias; if the last ribs I ate were Duroc, I might prefer them. But the Cheshires are larger, and cheaper.

IMO the Hatfield brand pork I get from Wegman’s is a bargain, 80% as good as heritage breeds for much less $$. Hatfield is probably Yorkshires, but no one asked.

All that being said, if Wegman’s had Duroc I’d probably buy it. What the heck, y’know?
    Last edited by Mosca; July 27, 2021, 06:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• STEbbq
    replied
    You might enjoy this thread

Been wanting to try some Iberico pork from Spain for quite some time. I usually covet the cooks that Henrik does when he smokes a cut from one of these world renowned pigs. Whenever I got the urge to follow suit, I'd look at the price and felt it was a little too steep for my budget. This time; however, I caught a sale at an on

Leave a comment:

• smokenoob
    replied
    I get a lot of Duroc ribs and chops, never noticed a hint of chicken. I really like the Duroc since butcher can’t get much Berkshire lately.

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    Duroc is a mainly red breed of hog. My grandfather had one years ago but got rid of it cuz all I did was run around the yard and eat the chickens.

Leave a comment:

• ChiefK
    started a topic Duroc pork?

Duroc pork?

A statewide chain grocery opened a stand alone meat market here in central iowa. I'm now able to get some cuts you don't normally see in the small store in my hometown, like flank, brisket, skirt, tri-tip, side ribs, etc, even wagyu.

but, I noticed that most of their pork is labeled as Duroc pork, I can't remember if it carried an additional "certified" or not.

have you guys seen this, is it just a marketing trick, playing on "certified angus beef"?

I grew up on a hog farm, and we had durocs from time to time, but I don't recall them being prized as something special.

Has anyone seen this outside Ames Iowa?

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here