Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thought I had Baby Back Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thought I had Baby Back Ribs

When I went to cook Baby Back Ribs I discovered the package says "Extra Meaty Pork Back Ribs". Do I cook them the same as Baby Back Ribs? Have never cooked this type but have cooked Baby Backs many times. Any real difference in cooking them? Thanks for any assistance.

Same thing, just extra loin meat left on them. I trim some of that extra loin meat off if it's too thick.

Comment

• lovetogrill
      lovetogrill commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the tip. Appreciate the quick response.

Those are what is called baby backs or more often loin back ribs. It means there is extra meat attached on the meat side of the ribs, which comes from the pork loin. They charge more per pound for ribs than loin meat, so by leaving some attached, they can charge more for the slab of ribs.

Cook them just like you planned, but be aware that if they are very thick, they might take a bit longer, and that the loin meat tends to dry out. And for me, those extra meaty ones don't pass the "bend test" like spare ribs or thinner baby backs do. You just gotta go by time and probing for tenderness.

Comment

• lovetogrill
      lovetogrill commented
      Editing a comment
      Great advice that I will follow. Cooking tomorrow and will be aware of the "thickness". Thanks a bunch.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      +1

• N227GB
      N227GB commented
      Editing a comment
      I give them about an extra 30 minutes in the PBC, keeping an eye on pull back on the thinner side.

I too fillet mine down to be uniform across. The problem with "extra meaty" back ribs is that on the surface it soudns good, but they can be a pain to cook up. That extra thick loin meat gets super dry with the extra time it takes for the heat to get to the center and do its thing. Personally I always watch back ribs and only buy them if they're <3lbs per rack, preferably 2.5 - 2.75lbs for me. True "baby" back ribs cook up very nice, the big ones are harder to get right.

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      have you ever injected the extra loin meat?

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol! I've only ever injected turkey breast. Prob won't ever inject anything else.

I've had pretty good success keeping the loin meat moist by wrapping the ribs after the first few hours smoking. I normally don't wrap spares or true baby backs, but the wrapping definitely helps the extra meaty ribs.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      This is a good idea. When I did a lot of these type ribs, I was doing them using the 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 method, with about a 2 hour wrap in the middle of the cook. I don't do that for the spares and SLC that I do mostly now.

• Mark V
      Mark V commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't wrap the usual sized BB's, but do wrap the extra meaty. I wrap them earlier in the cook, 1.5 to 2 hours on the PBC, leave them for about 45 minutes then finish unwrapped
      for 15-30 minutes. Most of the time the meat doesn't dry out. They will still be a lot less moist than spares. Reheating is another challenge. Wrapping in foil in a 250 oven just until
      hot has worked best for me.

Seeing actual baby back ribs in the store is almost as common as seeing baby Dodo birds in the store.

SLC's 4 Life!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      YUP!!!

• Bob's BBQ
      Bob's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes! SLC's are my favorite!

• synodog
      synodog commented
      Editing a comment
      And baby backs have just enough of a different flavor than St. Louis…I’ll always choose SL. Not that I haven’t had good BB’s i just prefer SL.

You might want to try mgaretz Mark Garetz Blasphemy Ribs approach. I don’t have the link to it here, but it works really well on those extra meaty loin back ribs.

Here is the link to the Blasphemy Ribs method on the free site:

Blasphemy Ribs Are Controversial But Taste Amazing (amazingribs.com)
    Last edited by GolfGeezer; July 28, 2021, 06:57 AM. Reason: Adding the link from the Free site

Comment

• lovetogrill
      lovetogrill commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, contacted him and he said his method worked just great on these. Appreciate the trouble you went to to provide me this information.

I’ve stopped buying Costco baby backs because of the thick loin meat at the thicker end of the rack. If you trim the loin meat, is there a tissue fascial plane, or is it an arbitrary cut through muscle? And, typically what do folks do with the excised loin meat? How do you cook that?
    Thanks

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I fry mine up with soy, brown sugar & pepper, make a little stirfry while I'm smoking. Yum!

lovetogrill be careful cooking these mate, I posted somewhere here about a dismal failure treating these a normal ribs.
    As mentioned above, the loin meat ended up inedible, the rib meat was fine. I don't buy meaty pork ribs any more

Comment

• lovetogrill
      lovetogrill commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, trying to be very careful. Will cook tomorrow and provide a report. All comments have been very helpful. In the future, I will be sure I get Baby Backs because I have great cooks with them.

Stick them in your PBC and let the magic black barrel do its thing!

I've gotten them from Costco and haven't noticed a problem. I do try to buy a 3 rack package under 9 lbs as Huskee said.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      HawkerXP A totally different kind of bird on your avatar!

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      HawkerXP It's hard to keep up with your avatar. I'm trying to decipher a pattern, but I can't quite put my beak on it. One of these days I need to replace my hunk of 4 pork butts (that was my very first KBQ cook.)

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      I had the aircraft one forever. The catbird was from a bird post by ........someone. It wasn't a hawk so now I'll try a chicken hawk. Dr. Pepper

Agreed, I have noticed that thicker ribs cook badly most times. When I have to buy at Costco, Sams, Festival, I trim the ribs so they cook well.
    AAAAAAccctuuuaaallly, the best ribs I have found come form Aldi, they are inexpensive, low on excessive extra meat and ready to go into the oven awaiting the grill. Yes, I bake them first, it's too easy doing it that way Perfect every time. So there ! Roast me now TIC..

Just wanted to get aldi out there for the masses to get some some sub $20 racks that are really enjoyable. They don't have them all the time but when they do I buy them out.

Yup, tmaan sad dat!

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Aldi is going under from what I've heard.

• tmaan235
      tmaan235 commented
      Editing a comment
      I havent heard that but I don't pay much attention either.
      If the local Aldis are any measure, the only reason they are going down is because of some corporate strategy. Aldi in my world has been around for 45 years.

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      I believe I was incorrect. Sorry for the disfomation.

Originally posted by tmaan235 View Post
    Agreed, I have noticed that thicker ribs cook badly most times. When I have to buy at Costco, Sams, Festival, I trim the ribs so they cook well.
    AAAAAAccctuuuaaallly, the best ribs I have found come form Aldi, they are inexpensive, low on excessive extra meat and ready to go into the oven awaiting the grill. Yes, I bake them first, it's too easy doing it that way Perfect every time. So there ! Roast me now TIC..

Just wanted to get aldi out there for the masses to get some some sub $20 racks that are really enjoyable. They don't have them all the time but when they do I buy them out.

Yup, tmaan sad dat!
    Care to share a bit more detail on that procedure please mate?

Comment

• tmaan235
      tmaan235 commented
      Editing a comment
      Stuey, Are there Aldi stores in OZ?
      If so, then there's a treasure trove sometimes in the meat section. Lean but enough meat and don't take hours to cook. If you find some, clean them out and freeze!
      Ribs with more than 2cm (Close enough to 1/2 inch) of meat over the outside part of the ribs just interferes with proper cooking. Takes longer and causes burning of the meat and bones on the naked underside unprotected from the heat.
      Out of chrs. If you want to hear my recipe, be happy to post it.

• Stuey1515
      Stuey1515 commented
      Editing a comment
      tmaan235 we do have a local Aldi that I will start poking around in, looking for ribs. Don't normally go there as I get the feeling they are a bit random in what they stock. The non perishable seems to be just a dumping ground for Europe's unsold goods.
      By all means post your recipe, we all love new info on cooking

I made this mistake once when cooking ribs for a family outing. At "the last minute" (the night before) one of the family asked if I would do ribs. I usually do SLC but couldn't find them or a full rack so I went with the "extra meaty baby backs". Every warning above came true and it was an embarrassing failure (served after dessert and in the dark). I asked here, like you but unfortunately after the fact, and went with the suggestion to trim off the excess loin meat from that point on and have not been disappointed (but I still mostly do SLC).

Comment

• tmaan235
      tmaan235 commented
      Editing a comment
      What is SLC? I'm bad at acronyms

• MarkN
      MarkN commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry (and yeah, I hate it when people do that and here I did it myself). St. Louis Cut (SLC) spare ribs.

I cooked them yesterday and tried to follow all the suggestions offered but did not trim. Was aware of time cooked and temps. They turned out "all right" but I was disappointed. Will be careful and NOT purchase them again. Sticking with Baby Backs in the future as I have always had great luck with them. I great big THANK YOU for all the advice, suggestions and comments.

Comment

A little PS. n the Aldi thing, they are doing just fine & are adding 100 new stores in U.S. & expanding curbside pickup.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here