Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

dumb pulled pork question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dadof3Illinois
    commented on 's reply
    smokin fool there’s tons of flavor in that fatty juice!!

• Troutman
    replied
    I like pulled pork

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    Oooo smoky towels. Those are the best !!!

• ofelles
    commented on 's reply
    +2

• smokenoob
    replied
    when my pork butt hits 203° I put it in the deep stainless pan I plan to shred it in, and then cover very tightly with heavy aluminum foil. Then into the oven 170° until I’m ready to shred and serve. I’ve had it in the oven for up to five hours and it has come out great. I must admit, that since going to the oven 170° method all my pool party visitors miss my pork butt smoky towels.

Leave a comment:

• LA Pork Butt
    replied
    I plan on a 17 hour overnight cook to serve for noon. It takes about an hour to stabilize the cooker at 225. Then it is a 12 - 14 hour cook to an internal temp of 200. After that it is wrapped and held in an ice chest with old towels for 2 - 4 hours depending on the actual time for cooking a 10# Boston Butt. It will still be plenty hot when you pull it, and I find that resting it helps separate the excess fat between the various muscles. That being said, start your fire about 7 pm the night before.

Leave a comment:

• bbqLuv
    commented on 's reply
    I agree with FireMan but add pic's please

• smokin fool
    commented on 's reply
    Excellent point I forgot, keep the juices for the reheat.
    I put them in the slow cooker with the root beer and bbq sauce.

• Dadof3Illinois
    replied
    There's so many ways to do this and none are wrong. I wrap the pork butts when smoking, so when they are finished i'll let the butt cool some, take it out of the foil and shred it in a pan and save all the juice from the wrap. Cover it and stick in the fridge until ready to reheat. Then put the pan in a 220 degree oven, still covered, until it warms up good....say 120-140 degrees. While that's going on, i'll put all the juice left from the wrap i saved and heat it to a light boil. Now just take the pork out of the oven and add the hot juices back into the meat. I've found this works for me but everyone has their own way and like I said, none of them are wrong.....just have fun and enjoy cooking BBQ and sharing with friends and family!!

Leave a comment:

• CaptainMike
    commented on 's reply
    Even gooder, PKB!

• Draznnl
    commented on 's reply
    +1 to this.

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    If you have a sous vide, you can bag the whole butt intact, reheat it later to 140-150, and then shred for service. That's what I do for pot lucks at work.

• Old Glory
    replied
    When I make pulled pork ahead of time I shred and put into an aluminum pan, cover and refrigerate. When I am ready to reheat I add some apple juice, bbq sauce, and vinegar to the meat mix it up cover and reheat in the oven.

Leave a comment:

• DavidNorcross
    replied
    Agree with FireMan there is no dumb questions. Let us know how it goes.

Leave a comment:

• FireMan
    replied
    Aren’t ya glad ya called! Let us know what ya do & how things turn out.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here