Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork belly burnt ends tactics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork belly burnt ends tactics

Howdy y’all, getting ready to make pork belly burnt ends and have been checking out many recipes and techniques. Most use an aluminum pan with foil for the braising phase, but one I found makes tight fitting foil packets with a little juice and honey. He claims pan with foil creates steam which washes off the bark, but the packets don’t.

Have any of y’all heard of this or tried it, or does it really have an affect on the finished product?

Thank y’all.

I follow Malcom Reeds recipe as written and they turn out great…..usually it’s what everyone remembers!

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      +1

I do use less butter. But THIS the best guide to PBBEs.

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      +2 on Malcom Reed recipe....its the bomb

• leol2
      leol2 commented
      Editing a comment
      +3 on Malcolmm

+1 on the Malcom Reed method. Fool proof. Do that Don’t over think it.

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      The main issue I have with PBBE; I can not control myself.
      They pair well with any and all beverages.
      I can eat them for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks.
      In my belly is where they belong.

I haven't had any issues with the bark washing off in a pan with foil. Like others mentioned I somewhat follow the Malcom Reed method and they have always turned out excellent.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Based upon how I do mine, if'n yer bark washes off, ya didn't have any bark, to start with...

Yalls mileage may vary...

(1) Pork Belly Burnt Ends Video - Bing video

This short video says it all. Your question is answered, or not. Don't matter. Pork Belly Burnt Ends are great, "finger-licking good".
    I suggest try it both ways. Then the one you like best make it your own.

Comment

I'm planning to smoke some PBBE this afternoon using the Meat Church recipe/technique. I noticed the Snake River Farms video suggests a smoke temp of 250F for 3 hours but the Meat Church recipe recommends 275F for 3 hours. Any consensus on which temp/time combo is better? Any other pearls of wisdom from you PBBE vets are welcome and encouraged.

Thanks!

Comment

• Oak Smoke
        Oak Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        When doing pork I’ve never been able to distinguish between things cooked at 250 and things cooked at 275. In most pits you can get a swing in between the two with no problems caused. Go with whichever one is easier to get your cooker to hold.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        +1. You'll find little or no difference. Of course that's also dependent on the type of cooker, but I don't see any real change. The hotter temp may actually get them done faster.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here