Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whole spares with breastbone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whole spares with breastbone?

My last two rib cooks, I took whole spares and made St Louis racks, and cooked the trimmings alongside the ribs.

This was sort of problematic. I never really ate the tips, flaps, and skirts. That felt like a waste. Even when I buy whole spares at the grocery, the breastbone is removed, along with most of the meat beyond the cartilage.

I’m reading Black Smoke, and there was a time before ribs were trimmed St Louis style, and the entire spare rib was bbq’d. And I could see that; the nice, meaty tips and beyond could be attached to each rib, and everyone gets some of everything, and there is less waste.

Does anyone do this? I’m going to do it on my next rib cook regardless. There’s a Malcolm Reed web page and a video on it; I’m just looking for local reassurance on this one.

I don't. I trim to SLC. Then, I cook rib tips to create an appetizer while guests are waiting for the ribs to cook. And I keep the sternum for cooking beans.

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      +1....tasters as I call them keep the horde at bay.

I do on occasion. All the meat trimmed off to make the SLC’s is some good eating! And ribs left whole are usually way cheaper. Only reason I don’t do them always is my wife doesn’t like messing with all what would be the off cuts.

Comment

I sometimes like to cook full spares. But I always remove the chine bone. I have cooked it along with the ribs before, but there's hardly any meat on it so I often just discard it.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
        Oak Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        +1

Thing is, and I saw it at the grocery store yesterday, I can buy a rack of SLC ribs or a rack of uncut ribs for basically the same price. If I then trim the uncut rack to SLC, I get appetizers, meal, and another meal (soup/beans) for the same price as a meal.
      Last edited by ecowper; July 20, 2021, 07:42 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        I jus cook th whole shebang...

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here