Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Wings

I’m getting some pork wings from Stay Classy Meats delivered tomorrow. This will be my first time cooking pork wings on my Weber Kettle. I’d appreciate any suggestions or hints on how these should be cooked.

Doing them for the first time I'd go with the recommend cook shown on the site. A basic reverse sear that looks to be shooting for a finish temp of around 140°. After that, experiment with different times and temps to customize to your tastes. Good luck with them! Can't wait to see some pictures of the before and after with them.

Comment

Ibsid some low and slow once and they were terrible. Chewy a hell. Try the advice above.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
        Jfrosty27 commented
        Editing a comment
        I had the same result with a low and slow cook. Chewy and just bad.

So it's true pigs can fly?

Comment

RichardCullip So how did they turn out? How did you cook them? I gotta a couple I want to try this weekend.

Comment

I ended up braising them in a dutch oven. Turned out very tender and moist. No pictures so it probably didn't happen

Comment

• Rod
            Rod commented
            Editing a comment
            RichardCullip What IT did you shoot for? I'm seeing recipes all over the place on cooker temps, time and IT.

• RichardCullip
            RichardCullip commented
            Editing a comment
            Rod I didn't shoot for a specific internal temperature. I browned the pork wings and then simmered them in a beef broth in my dutch oven. I simmered them for a few hours until they were fall apart tender.

I plucked mine myself and made a nice dream catcher with the feathers. Now I only dream of pork.

Comment

So I made a couple of these and they basically turned out tasting like a real meaty STL rib. Not as tender, but definitely not tough or chewy. I threw them on the grill at 275 for an hour until the IT hit 160ish. Then wrapped them in foil with some butter and BBQ sauce for another 50 minutes until the IT was 200ish. Then just put them over the coals for a few minutes to dry up the excess liquid on the surface.

Not sure it's worth doing them again, but if I do, maybe I'll just smoke them for 30 minutes and braise them the rest of the way. It's not a common cut to find and tastes just like pork ribs to me. It's like they are more of a novelty than anything else.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210927_024526644.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	1101486

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Smoke, then braise.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here