Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't please everyone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't please everyone.

The best BBQ is the BBQ you like.
    The other day I smoked some Baby Back Ribs.
    Seasoned with Salt and Pepper.
    4-1-1/2 = smoked 4 hours @ 180*F, Wrapped in foil 1 hour @ 225*F, glazed with 365 BBQ sauce and honey mix.
    Got good bit thru ribs, nice crust, smoked flavor, S&P enhanced pork taste.
    I was quite pleased with my cook, BUT. . . . "I like the way you cooked and seasoned them the last time better," so said the wife.
    SWMBO likes them sweeter, fall off the bone tender.

If "you can't please everyone", should you "Please yourself'?

You kinda said if yourself, I find life is better when you cook them to the preferences of SWMBO. Though you can always cook 2 racks and season hers sweeter and start the 30-60 mins earlier…Or serve her more PBR before dinner

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Amen to this!

Happy wife. Happy life. I’d lean toward pleasing your wife.

Comment

I think pleasing others is a good part of why so many of us love to cook. At our house it’s me that loves the sweet. I’ve come to the realization that I need to be versatile. I’ve actually split a rack of ribs to cook one half rub only and the other half sweet. It goes down hill from there when I bring up how I like a steak or the incredible center slice of a prime rib. What kind of girl doesn’t like pink? Mine! After all that, I’ve heard her tell others how much she likes the things I smoke. The extra effort is worth it.

Comment

Fall off the bone ribs taste just as good as perfectly cooked bite off the bone ones... Though you could do what I do. Wife doesn't like ribs too much but she prefers fall off the bone. On occasion I'll cut 4 or 5 ribs off the rack when they are done to my liking and then foil the rest of them to get one portion fall off the bone done.

Comment

I please myself all the time, but that's a different story. I know what you are saying though, I get that a lot from my family. My wife is strictly Texas style, salt and pepper and let the meat shine through. My daughter, on the other hand, can't get enough of my sweet-heat ribs just dripping with sauce. As you say can't please everyone all the time. We've just gotten to where we cook multiple racks differently, not that big a deal, and gets everyone happy as a result.

Comment

• ofelles
            ofelles commented
            Editing a comment
            Way toooo much info! in the beginning🤔😮🙃

• bbqLuv
            bbqLuv commented
            Editing a comment
            Troutman "I please myself all the time, but that's a different story" Mixed cocktails is my guess. If not try PBR. LOL

Well, if you want expert answers from a life long bachelor, listen to ol PJ. What I’d do, is explain to her that you bought those ribs and you’re gonna cook em any way you, yourself, like. Then tell her if she don’t like it, there’s a McDonalds right down the street. The key though is training your wife from the very beginning of the marriage. That way you don’t have these misunderstandings later on. Just be sure to pepper her throughout the marriage with thoughtful and appreciative gifts. For example, for a wedding anniversary perhaps buy her a new lawn mower, maybe even a self propelled one. On her birthday, I’ve found that a new vacuum cleaner is always appreciated. She will probably reward you in the bedroom that night with love making you’ve never experienced before! You’re welcome.
          Last edited by Panhead John; July 18, 2021, 12:01 PM.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
            ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
            Editing a comment
            Panhead John if I was in charge one or two of those vac's woulda been a grill of some sort

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            Naw. It’s, "You don’t like "em? Cook ‘em yerself.”

• Old Glory
            Old Glory commented
            Editing a comment
            I have a friend who is an electrical engineer. Graduated top of his class at Northeastern University. He analyzed his wife's household chores and wrote up a six page commentary on how she could complete them more efficiently. Needless to say he is much smarter with his second wife...lol.

Originally posted by bbqLuv View Post
          If "you can't please everyone", should you "Please yourself'?
          Ricky Nelson said so, so it must be right 😁

Comment

• bbqLuv
            bbqLuv commented
            Editing a comment
            I went to a Graden Party to BBQ with my old friends.

"To Thine Own Self Be True"..., but plan to account fer alla th Philistines tastes, as wail....
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 18, 2021, 09:45 AM.

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
            Sweaty Paul commented
            Editing a comment
            That made me chuckle out loud!

Man this is getting deep. Please ....more AR wisdom !!! Fill me up !!!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	popcorn eating.gif Views:	0 Size:	625.0 KB ID:	1062386

Comment

I always smoke enough ribz for everyone else,,,,and enuff ribz fer me,,,,😁😁😁

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Imce, Best way to roll, Brother!; takes th same fuel, whether I do one rack, or eight...

I try to cook to my wife’s taste but something beyond my knowledge goes wrong and it comes out how I like it.
            For something’s that happen in the known universe there is no plausible answer.

Comment

It's the 2 of us. She is not a fan of smoke. In fact she isn't fond of food done on the Kettle no smoke. So if doing a rack, cut in half. On Gasser for her Kettle for me. We both get our way so win win.

Comment

We share one rack now, so I cut it in half and fix hers very sweet and fall off the bone. I sometimes will put a little sauce on mine, but ribs is ribs, so just put some in front of me and I'll take a whack at 'em...

Comment

My wife isn't really big on pork, and ribs even less, so when I make ribs she get's 'em how I want 'em, and you'd best shut your gob about it, woman; also, I made you chicken. Easy enough to make me what I like and her something she likes.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here