Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stall Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stall Help

I have an event coming up today... in about 2 hours. I started two pork butts yesterday afternoon around 2:00, thinking that should be plenty of time... well... they've been stuck at 170 for about 3-4 hours. Smoker has been steady at 230 +/- 10 all night (even though we got a late evening thunderstorm)...

My plan is to put them in my electric oven at 250 to see if I can get them up to 190-200 before I leave to go to my thing.

Are there any other methods I can use for a long stall that starts to interfere with schedule? Maybe too late for today, but maybe for next time?

How dark are they??

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmmm... Maybe he should power through the stall. Turn the temp up to 300° until you break the stall. Then turn it back to 240° to finish the cook. Right Jerod?

That's a long one...they usually come aroind . some people wrap in foil to get thru a stall...called a crutch I believe

Comment

Hate to say it but the oven will work fine also

Comment

I defer to the experts above! All I can add is if you feed your guests 1-2 hrs late they will swear it's the best they have ever had!! Dan

Comment

I did the oven trick and they came out OK! They were not super dark at 170 internal... normally when they are fully done on the smoker, they are almost black on the outside... They tasted fine, even with the oven finish.

I was still cutting it close to my event, so I wrapped them in foil and a towel, stuck them in a cooler and drove the 20 minutes to where I needed to go, and pulled the meat there. Came out fantastic. Although I don't want to do that oven finish as the norm. I'll just plan for more time next time.

Comment

Nice!!!!!

I have finished a few in the oven uncovered. Thanks to the Pit Barrel, that is not needed any longer.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here