Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked and insta-potted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark-B
    commented on 's reply
    I’ll have to try that temp out. I don’t usually do baby backs, but would be nice for a change of pace.

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    I smoke a chuckie or two until the stall, then add to instapot for chili...

I do make a chili with ribs, so, maybe for that application, but I like a dry rib... boiling not recommended.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
    replied
    I've done chuck and a pork but both times smoked for 2-4 hours then finished in the instant pot. Turned out fine, just no bark. I would suggest putting 1.5 cups of liquid in the smoker for the same time then using the smoked liquid to meet the IP's 1 cup liquid need for pressure.

Leave a comment:

• LA Pork Butt
    replied
    Steve Raichlen recommends baby backs on the grill at 325 in 1.5 hours.

Leave a comment:

• Mark-B
    commented on 's reply
    I'll check it out. Must have missed that one. He has some great videos.

• Smoked Transistors
    replied
    Harry Soo was challenged by one of his viewers to see if he could inject, smoke ,sear and finish in the Instant Pot a 2-hour 14lb Texas Brisket

Leave a comment:

• Thunder77
    commented on 's reply
    Good point! I have several sealing rings for that very reason.

• Schwyy
    replied
    id only be worried about how smokey the rubber seal ring will get!

Leave a comment:

• Thunder77
    replied
    Potkettleblack With pork shoulder it’s amazing. But With ribs, I would think not.

Leave a comment:

• Potkettleblack
    replied
    No for ribs. Yes for chuck, chicken thighs, pork shoulder, chili, short ribs... anything that would really benefit from extended cambro, steam tabling, or boiling.

While I'm decidedly anti-orthodoxy, and will not shame you if you like boiled ribs... not for me, thank you.

Leave a comment:

• IowaGirl
    replied
    Based on my experience with meat that's been pressure cooked, the ribs will probably have a texture similar to braised pot roast. If you like "fall off the bone" ribs, I suspect you will like ribs done this way.

Leave a comment:

• Sam6687
    replied
    i havent done it with ribs, but I did this for pulled pork once. my wife surprised me with quests at the last minute and did understand how long pulled pork would take. so I got creative and did 90 minutes in my PBC and then about 45 in the instantpot. it wasn't my favorite but in a pinch it worked out ok.

Leave a comment:

• shify
    replied
    Ribs no, but I’ve smoked a chuckle and chicken and then used the instant pot to make smoked Texas and green chicken chili, respectively. Works well as long as that is the result/texture you want

Leave a comment:

• Bkhuna
    replied
    Sounds like a good idea. Give it a whirl. We eagerly await the outcome.

Leave a comment:

• willxfmr
    replied
    That's not much different than QVQ, or any of the other permutations sous vide and smoke. I think the down side would be the loss of bark, but I would expect you could could turn out very respectable meat with that technique. Since I happen to own a couple of pressure cookers, I'd love for you to give it a try and let us know how it works out.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here