Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked and insta-potted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked and insta-potted?

I like cooking BBQ, but always like the idea of getting the same results, but much faster. With that, has anyone tried smoking spare ribs or such for a couple hours or so and then finishing them in the instant pot? I’m thinking maybe 1.5 hrs on smokeboost with my Smokefire then transfer to the instant pot for 20-30 minutes. Done.

I see no reason not to try it. Let us know how it turns out.

Comment

That's not much different than QVQ, or any of the other permutations sous vide and smoke. I think the down side would be the loss of bark, but I would expect you could could turn out very respectable meat with that technique. Since I happen to own a couple of pressure cookers, I'd love for you to give it a try and let us know how it works out.

Comment

Sounds like a good idea. Give it a whirl. We eagerly await the outcome.

Comment

Ribs no, but I’ve smoked a chuckle and chicken and then used the instant pot to make smoked Texas and green chicken chili, respectively. Works well as long as that is the result/texture you want

Comment

i havent done it with ribs, but I did this for pulled pork once. my wife surprised me with quests at the last minute and did understand how long pulled pork would take. so I got creative and did 90 minutes in my PBC and then about 45 in the instantpot. it wasn't my favorite but in a pinch it worked out ok.

Comment

Based on my experience with meat that's been pressure cooked, the ribs will probably have a texture similar to braised pot roast. If you like "fall off the bone" ribs, I suspect you will like ribs done this way.

Comment

No for ribs. Yes for chuck, chicken thighs, pork shoulder, chili, short ribs... anything that would really benefit from extended cambro, steam tabling, or boiling.

While I'm decidedly anti-orthodoxy, and will not shame you if you like boiled ribs... not for me, thank you.

Comment

Potkettleblack With pork shoulder it’s amazing. But With ribs, I would think not.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                    Potkettleblack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I smoke a chuckie or two until the stall, then add to instapot for chili...

I do make a chili with ribs, so, maybe for that application, but I like a dry rib... boiling not recommended.

id only be worried about how smokey the rubber seal ring will get!

Comment

• Thunder77
                    Thunder77 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good point! I have several sealing rings for that very reason.

Harry Soo was challenged by one of his viewers to see if he could inject, smoke ,sear and finish in the Instant Pot a 2-hour 14lb Texas Brisket

Comment

• Mark-B
                    Mark-B commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'll check it out. Must have missed that one. He has some great videos.

Steve Raichlen recommends baby backs on the grill at 325 in 1.5 hours.

Comment

• Mark-B
                    Mark-B commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I’ll have to try that temp out. I don’t usually do baby backs, but would be nice for a change of pace.

I've done chuck and a pork but both times smoked for 2-4 hours then finished in the instant pot. Turned out fine, just no bark. I would suggest putting 1.5 cups of liquid in the smoker for the same time then using the smoked liquid to meet the IP's 1 cup liquid need for pressure.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here