Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microwave Ribs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microwave Ribs...

No no not from scratch.

So the other day I did what I termed YOLO ribs (see https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...43#post1048243), so named because I just didn't feel like pulling out the new Smoke grate probe, etc. In fact, I didn't even really trim these. I'd gotten this rack ofSL ribs for $2.99/lb and felt like eating them, so I lit coals as I usually do, added more to the SNS when the first 10 or so were asked over, plopped wood on and added the ribs.

But... no temp monitoring. I checked once after 2 hours and then again at 4 (they were done about 30 mins later.

They were tasty. And all without the gadgets that we've all fallen for. I think there's a lesson there, but I don't have a beer so who knows?

Oh and the microwave part? Well, we sometimes talk a bunch about the best way to reheat leftover 'que and there's a lot of fancy stuff mentioned - sous vide, foil at a low temp, etc. But I wanted the ribs I'd not eaten the other night for lunch today. So.. onto a plate. 3 mins in the microwave. Boom, done. and you know what?

They were fine.

I'm as much of a gadget guy as many, but this whole thing reminded me that if you have a little knowledge of your gear and the basics of technique, you can turn out really tasty food with a very minimum of fuss.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0678 (3).jpeg Views:	0 Size:	314.3 KB ID:	1049604
    Last edited by rickgregory; June 23, 2021, 04:22 PM.

I bet you used a lot of instinctive experience with how many coals and such, and so were well equipped to cook w/o the gadgets. And the lack of beer, well, we'll let this one slide . I use only the micro when reheating ribs and you know what? I eat warm delicious ribs every time with no fuss, no oven and no SV. Sometimes I even eat them cold outta the fridge, better'n cold pizza by far.

Comment

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      yeah, I know my weber well, etc. I wouldn't do this on a new cooker where I'd never managed temps. For folks who like their Fireboard graphs etc, go for it. This just reminded me that once you DO get some experience under your belt, you can do just fine without all the gear.

Sometimes the gear just adds stress. I've had the Smoke tell me the temps were running up past 270 to 300, jumped up, messed with the vents, fussed over things and I don't know that it ultimately made the food any better.
      Last edited by rickgregory; June 23, 2021, 05:38 PM.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Exactly! I am NOT a graph person because the food on my plate doesn't care, my wife & kids don't care, and after all I do this for my family and the food on our plates, not a graph to get lost in my computer somewhere or that I'll never look at again. I'm with you.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Then, we would seem to be in complete agreement, gentlemen...

Yep! After cooking stakes and burgers on a griddle I realized I could cook em in a pan in the house when it’s raining!

and yes, micro’d wibs works for me to!

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      So, how do your stakes turn out? Metallic or woody tasting?

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John both, and kinda earthy

• Clark
      Clark commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John They played poker with them because they were table stakes.

I nuke my leftover ribs every time. I cut into individual ribs, drizzle a little fresh sauce on them, and wave at 50% power for 6 minutes. Perfect every time.

Comment

• synodog
      synodog commented
      Editing a comment
      I also take the power down and microwave longer. Don’t know if it helps but I feel like it heats more evenly.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      The power down is not essential, but really does make a difference with the science oven.

I was ready to be all outraged at reading about microwaved ribs and shocked when I opened this post, but thankfully, my worst fears were not confirmed. We are still rational enough to cook our ribs properly first and reheat in the microwave.

Comment

Funny, I just had microwaved ribs for lunch today. Tasty!

Comment

I had them Monday and Tuesday. I do same as Jfrosty27 , I cut into individual ribs, put a line of sauce on each one, and nuke 6 ribs for 2 minutes.

Comment

Microwaving leftover Q for lunch at work is a great way to torture everyone else…

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup, it dang danged certain IS, Brother!!!

An, a right frequent way, as well, as they enjoy their Marie Callendar, with a Chobani chaser, that th Missus packed fer em...

• das85
            das85 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes. Also to get people inviting themselves over to your next bbq..

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            It's like the opposite of the person who microwaves fish.

Interesting, cuz it is the way I do Wibs, since I learnt to do em since AR. Seems to me I remember Meathead sayin somewhere he doesn’t temp the Wibs just use the bend test. I believed him & do it since I’ve been around. As far as nukin em, heck yes. It is a fast heat source. I was tellin Huskee about the radio program Meathead brought to our attention with an interview with our Doc Blonder by some chef/radio guy awhile back. Ya’ll ought to listen to it. It will really edjamacate ya’ll about the nucro mochine. I put in a little bowl of water so as to not dry out the Wibs.

Comment

I take left over ribs to work all the time. As stated above I will cut them into individual ribs and coat with some extra sauce. I warm them using 50% power and for keeping them moist, I'll put a piece of raw store bought bacon in the container with the ribs. The moisture, fat and flavor of the bacon when microwaved adds another layer of awesomeness to the ribs.

Comment

I reheat lots of leftovers in the microwave. Did ribs just last week.

Comment

I wrap individual ribs in a moist paper towel and then add the sauce after warming.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here