Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bacon - Success!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bacon - Success!

6 lbs of bacon survived the week-long cure and was smoked this morning. It turned out amazing. I sliced it up and got it ready for a work-event tomorrow but I had to QA it to make sure it was OK.

I made all three of Meathead's recipes (regular, maple and Asian) and they all taste incredible. My favorite so far is actually the Asian, it has a wonderful medley of flavors that really enhance the 'bacon-ness' of the pork. Below is a pound of the Asian bacon just after slicing.

Its not a whole lot of work, but this will probably be something I make for special occasions since Tina and I are both trying hard to eat better. If you haven't made your own bacon I highly recommend trying it. Just follow Meathead's directions and you'll be fine.

I love making this, I almost always have belly on the cure. I am going to try the asian recipe next weekend. Your looks great, nice job.

Comment

I have never tried to cure bacon before, but you can bet I am going to after seeing your Pic thanks, Dan

Comment

Well done! You'll never look at store-bought bacon the same again!

Comment

It's spelled B-A-C-O-N, but it's pronounced MEATCANDY.

Comment

I've been doing bacon for about a year now. there's nothing like it. I was using Peoria Market for the pork bellies but I got the last two from Costco. No skin, trimmed and ready to cure. They have been great and less than going to the market.
            If you haven't done Bacon yet get going. You'll never want store bought again.

Comment

looks good, now that you have made it yourself Oscar Meyer will never be the same.

Comment

I have made bacon twice and I need to start up again now that my wife is back to work at her school. I cure / smoke the pork and she slices it for me.

Comment

Cooked up all 6 lbs today on my portable tailgating grill at work. HUGE success and it drew raves. We actually called it "BLT Monday" and folks on my team provided all the fixins plus desserts and sides. My boss brought 3 lbs of bacon from a local farmer's market to supplement what I cured and all 9 lbs got polished off.

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
                    Powersmoke_80 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    gotta love BLT's this time of year with fresh home grown tomatoes coming on now!

I gave 30 lbs to my family wrapped up in red and green shrink wrap for christmas. they invite me over for everything now.

Comment

You guys are really stoking my makin'bacon fires! I've never made it, but as soon as I get my mitts on some pork belly, I for sure am going to give it a try. Thanks for the information and the enthusiasm!

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here