Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Membrane on ribs. Remove or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Membrane on ribs. Remove or not?

(I searched and was surprised not to find a thread on this. If there is one and i missed it, please point me there)

OK, so I have shared previously I am a lazy cook.

I Have never removed the membrane on pork ribs. The vast majority of recipes call for its removal, though some say this is optional.

My thoughts are that since most folks cook ribs bone side down, that it may actually help keep from over cooking and moisture loss. Also, rub does not stick on that side, and no real meat to form bark, so why bother.

I will grab some popcorn and enjoy the discussion. Though ideally someone here has enough experience doing it both ways to make the case one way or the other. Unless you make a compelling case I will continue my lazy ways, LOL.

Baby Back Maniac did a cook that tested this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlq8G2_o-ps

Upshot? No real difference aside from the fact that the membranes don't cook away and so you have a little papery stuff left. No real difference to the quality of the ribs, though

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Although I do remove my membrane, that little papery stuff I used to like eating. It was all kind of crunchy.

I remove it simply because I only cook one or two racks at once. If I had a commercial operation I doubt I'd take the time.

Comment

I always take off. Takes maybe 20 seconds and I always read to take it off. If someone would convince me otherwise I guess I would leave it on.

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        I always remove the membrane. Easy enough. It is part of the trimming process. On pork Ribs that is. I turn spears into St. Louis and the scrap into snacks.
        It gives me a sense of power and control, I am the King of my Pit.

• Razor
        Razor commented
        Editing a comment
        20 seconds? I’m getting better at it but, dang…

I always remove it...have tried leaving it on but it seemed to get "harder" after cooking, wife "suggested" to ALWAYS remove it.

Comment

Firmly in the "remove it" camp here.

Comment

I remove it.

Comment

I’ve always removed it. We went to Snow’s BBQ, and they don’t remove it. They also moped, which I don’t do, but the ribs tasted good and weren’t dried out. So, I think I’ll give it a try on my next rib cook.

Comment

I almost never bother.

Comment

• bbqLuv
                bbqLuv commented
                Editing a comment
                Say it ain't so.

• cgrover60
                cgrover60 commented
                Editing a comment
                +1

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh Bones this is two disappointments in one day. Say it ain’t so, is the world going insane?

I tried several times in the past to remove the membrane. Was seldom successful. For some reason it took me forever and was a big pain in the ass. I saw no difference myself in the taste, amount of smoke or texture and quit even trying. I haven’t removed the membrane in years.

Comment

• bbqLuv
                bbqLuv commented
                Editing a comment
                Texas is known for Beef, that may explain it.
                if I may, I suggest trying removing the membrane before drinking Lone Star Beer.

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                I tried butter knives, paring knives and pulling it with paper towels, nothing worked for me very well. Finally I just said screw it. I also don’t have as much patience as most people. And it’s well known here, I drink Coors Light. 😎

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                I'll film a video for you next time I do it. That said - if you are trying to remove it from Costco ribs... it may already be gone, causing you to fuss around to remove something that is already gone. First time I bought ribs at Costco, I fiddled with them for 10 minutes before I realized that it was already gone. The membrane you want to remove is pretty thick. There is a very very thin layer below that that you don't take off.

nakid wibs are way more fun!

Comment

Take it off. Take it all off...

Comment

• bbqLuv
                  bbqLuv commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I agree, take it off, take it off, and don't forget the Skirt, also call the flap.
                  Last edited by bbqLuv; June 16, 2021, 08:44 PM.

• Panhead John
                  Panhead John commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you for changing that. bbqLuv

• bbqLuv
                  bbqLuv commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Welcome, got to keep it family-friendly. 😁

I don't have a preference, but I remove it because my family thinks it's the way to go. Mostly because that's how I have always done it for them.

Comment

I remove. Takes a minute or so per rack. I usually do 1 or 2 racks so no big deal. Love to hear Meathead take.

Comment

Remove it, in meatheads book it says to remove it

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here