Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie question about "king Ribs"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie question about "king Ribs"

Evening All,

I had a quick search but i cant find anything or i may and more likely be searching the wrong terminology

I am looking at buying THESE bone in pork ribs as i was intrigued by the description of the king ribs.

I was looking for some smoking/seasoning advice to cook them and get the fat crisp. Again, I’m a total newbie and i will be tackling some st loius ribs on my own but these i wanted to seek advice.

Regard Original84

What is shown on the web page you link to is a bone-in pork belly. A variety of ways to cook one of those. Most smoke it low and slow to get it tender and render out the heavy fat.

Comment

I just don't think you could smoke pork belly until the fat is "crisp". If you want crispy pork belly, you need to be making bacon.

The issue I see with this cut of bone in pork belly is that you have some ribs attached to some pork belly. It's really two types of meat that need to cook differently. I like pork belly for bacon, or pork belly burnt ends, but treating it like ribs may not yield the best results. And the rib meat with a big slab of belly on top may never get done right before that part of the big slab is overdone. I.e. the rib meat would be dried out before the belly is rendered I think. I think cooked as "ribs" this meat will have so much fat content that it just won't be appealing, unless you like pork fat. You might cut it into individual "ribs" after cooking and drop them in a deep fryer to crisp up, which sounds like something you might see as carnival food...

Curious to see if someone has any advice beyond separating them - something mentioned on the web page.

Comment

This recipe claims to make "crispy" roasted pork belly. No reason you couldn't do it on the smoker.

Note that their photo appears to have the bones at the bottom, some lean (ribs?) then the fatty belly, then skin on top, so I think what you have isn't really considered ribs so much as just belly. So what you ought to be searching for are "crispy bone in belly" recipes I think, not rib recipes.

Comment

Originally posted by jfmorris View Post
          This recipe claims to make "crispy" roasted pork belly. No reason you couldn't do it on the smoker.

Note that their photo appears to have the bones at the bottom, some lean (ribs?) then the fatty belly, then skin on top, so I think what you have isn't really considered ribs so much as just belly. So what you ought to be searching for are "crispy bone in belly" recipes I think, not rib recipes.
          Thanks for the advice bro! i agree more belly than rib, so yeah i think i should look at it from a "crispy bone in belly" view

Comment

You guys are right I don’t think low and slow is going to be a good idea. I want a good crisp on the fat and tender meat if possible. I’m thinking treat it like a roast. score deep, dry brine, season and then 428 for 30 min then 356 until the internal temp is 145 or until the skin is crisp. I may slice of a few of the larger "bone-in belly ribs" and cook them separate see how they go.

My butcher is delivering this week so ill cook up the St louis this weekend but report back the week after regarding the "bone-in belly ribs"

Comment

Original84I don't think 145F will be high enough with pork belly. You really need that fat to render. Other recipes I see for pork belly call to cook to 165F (74C) or so internal temperature. This is not lean like pork loin - pork loin will be dry if cooked past 145F (63C). Pork belly is 50% fat, usually more. It won't dry out at higher temperatures. Most recipes say it is done at 165F (74C), and can go as high as 200F (93C) if you want it fall apart tender.

I've done pork shoulder (boston butt) for slicing, and usually cooked to the mid 170's. For pulling or shredding, I take it 200+. I think this cut will be similar in nature.

Comment

Originally posted by jfmorris View Post
                Original84I don't think 145F will be high enough with pork belly. You really need that fat to render. Other recipes I see for pork belly call to cook to 165F (74C) or so internal temperature. This is not lean like pork loin - pork loin will be dry if cooked past 145F (63C). Pork belly is 50% fat, usually more. It won't dry out at higher temperatures. Most recipes say it is done at 165F (74C), and can go as high as 200F (93C) if you want it fall apart tender.

I've done pork shoulder (boston butt) for slicing, and usually cooked to the mid 170's. For pulling or shredding, I take it 200+. I think this cut will be similar in nature.
                I did read this in places but was thinking it sounded a little high (im such a newbie) This is why i joined speak to these who know, tired and tested!

Thanks brother!

Comment

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Happy to help!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here