Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Drippings Burning Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Drippings Burning Problem

Every time I smoke a pork butt, the drippings at the bottom of the smoker eventually begin to burn and create a bitter smoke, which affects the taste. Today I put a pan of water underneath it to catch the drippings. Although the drippings didn’t burn anymore because they dripped into a water pan, my pork butt never quite got done. I guess from the water boiling underneath it. What on earth can you do underneath ribs or a pork butt to keep the drippings from eventually burning as the hours pass at the bottom of the smoker?? (E.g., Sprinkle flour? A little water? Cardboard? Parchment paper?)

I have had a Rec Tec 680 for almost 7 years and I put a disposable cookie sheet (no water) below anything I cook to catch the drippings. In fact my grease bucket has never seen any grease although it hangs there just in case. Not sure what cooker you have.
    Attached Files

Comment

WHAT ARE YOU COOKING ON? sorry about the caps

Comment

Can you give us a little more detail? What kind of smoker, how big was the butt, how long did you smoke it and at what temp? Usually the drippings hitting the coals add flavor for most people, but everyone’s different. What was the IT when you pulled it? Maybe this can help us with answers for you.
        Last edited by Panhead John; June 13, 2021, 04:34 AM.

Comment

Never had this issue with my pellet cooker or on coals... Like Jerod asked, I think this might be something specific to your cooker? I assume you are still running with the Lang?

Comment

Put a drip pan under the meat. No water. I usually elevate the pan slightly above the heat deflector to avoid burning the drippings.

Comment

In my Weber kettle, I put a foil pan on the charcoal rack, under the meat with just a little water, barely covers the bottom. This water will cook off eventually and the pan will catch the drippings that I will separate and put back into the meat when pulled. I have a friend who puts a pot of beans under the meat to catch those drippings.

Comment

I usually cook on my Lang but yesterday I was cooking a Yoder pellet smoker. It was a little butt (7 lbs?) at 250 along w 3 slabs of bb ribs. Just because I hate the cleanup on either the pallet or the Lang when you’re all done, I do put a disposable aluminum for cookie sheet underneath it. But especially the pork butt is in there so long that the drippings drip on the cookie sheet and turn black and by the end of the cook are putting off an unpleasant black smoke. So I thought I would be clever and I put a pan underneath the butt with water in it. The good news was the cleanup was easy and no black smoke. The bad news was The butt never developed a bark and the couple that we had over were pretty disappointed in this pitmaster wanna be

Comment

• HawkerXP
                  HawkerXP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Try less water. As I stated above, the water keeps the drippings from burning on the pan and by end of cook its pretty much all drippings left. I am cooking indirect.

It is hard for me to imagine how these high end cookers do not have a greese management system. And how a pan with water could completely negate any bark formation. I am mystified. I guess ya, try less water. But then you will be constantly have to be check the water level in the pan and refilling as necessary.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                  ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yoder has grease management, he's bypassing it so he doesn't have to clean it so much.

Thank you for your comments. I agree, less or no water. I do try to keep it clean and always clean it after each cook, which is a pain. So, I think I was trying to find a shortcut for the cleaning and also avoid the drippings burning and turning black which throws off a bitter smoke. Thanks again!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here