Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork ribs didnt just increase in price, they doubled!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork ribs didnt just increase in price, they doubled!

Guess I haven't been to the store in a few weeks. I committed to doing 8 racks of babybacks for a work party. Sams club today they were 4.98 a lb. Regularly 2.90 and quite often 1.99 a lb... Got 3 three packs, that hurt! Dont have room in the fridge but they had prime packers for less per lb thank the pork ribs or the choice brisket though.

You're fortunate they were that inexpensive for you. Even at my Sam's before the recent hike they always hovered in the $3.49-3.99/lb range. Brisket was cheapest of all meats.

EDIT maybe it was $2.49-2.99...can't remember exactly, still, never a really good deal.

Comment

Our Costco was $3.99 lb for BBacks and St Louie.

Comment

St Louis were 3.99 I think, but as many as I'm doing that's a lot of meat to trim off that I really wont use. But we are in pork country here, so our prices sometimes are a touch lower.

Comment

Last I saw was 2.99 for St Louis.

Comment

I just picked up 3 full Smithfield spares for $1.89 per lb. at Aldi. I don’t get anything trimmed or cut to taste. It should hold me to winter. I will cut them in thirds or half & freeze em. Bought 2 no-no-no- organic chix fer a buck seventy nine. Might halve em & freeze em. The rest of my freezer is venison I hunted & pizzas a friend bought for me, very thoughtfully. By the next time I go hunting & have to buy, prices will have doubled again. Such is life.
            Last edited by FireMan; June 11, 2021, 11:51 AM.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
              ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
              Editing a comment
              Smithfield is right up the road... yet they are definitely more than that here

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Off to Aldi's I go!

• Dewesq55
              Dewesq55 commented
              Editing a comment
              My experience with Aldi is that all of their pork is injected. Just be mindful. I think maybe their chicken is as well, but not sure.

Costco here had spares and baby backs for $5.99 per pound. Insane prices.

Comment

Duroc St Louis $6.99 here

Comment

I know this ain’t ribs….but I found chicken wings for $2.44 lb. at Walmart today! I last paid about $3.69 lb. at Kroger. A lot of places are running low or out of wings. Some places are just selling legs and thighs. HEB I just heard, is putting a limit of 2 packages of wings per customer.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Panhead John; June 11, 2021, 01:57 PM.

Comment

• ssandy_561
                  ssandy_561 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Even the bars we go to are limiting how many wings you can order on wing night. We were limited to a pound of wings per person at the table. Luckily two people that were with us this last time were not planning on eating any wings so my fat ass could still get my fill.

lol

As I have long lamented I stopped looking at the price per lb or kilo years ago up here.
                If I see a price I can live with I buy.
                Prices have moderated this week after last weeks debacle, $52 for a flat of pork ribs and Mexican t-bones for $14 so I did pick up some meat today for prices I liked.
                My have to do with the partial re-opening if the province last night at 12:01.
                There had to be 200 plus people lined up at the local Winners at 9 this morning.

​​​​​

Comment

I haven't looked a wibs lately, but wings are in short supply. Looked for some last week, nobody had any.

Comment

Sams had loads of chicken, but I didn't pay attention to the prices... though a quick news search shows media outlets are spiking additional fear. No deep freezers to be found around here again so I can guess what just happened

Comment

• Panhead John
                      Panhead John commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It’s the chicken wings that are in short supply and costing more. Whole chickens, legs, breasts and thighs are plentiful. I was in an HEB today and they had no wings, but plenty of everything else.

I didn’t look at ribs today, but I noticed tri tip was up considerably at Costco. I did notice that - but I didn’t look at any other prices.

Comment

Smithfield St. Louis cut ribs are hovering around $3.40/lb here.

But check this out.....so HEB has this brand of meat they call Natural. Its their "organic" brand and like most organic labels in the US, it is as ambiguous as to be nearly meaningless.

HEB Natural St. Louis cut ribs are $6.68/lb.

But....

Fresh Beef "Dino" Ribs are $5.17/lb. Never thought I'd see that. Beef ribs cheaper than pork ribs.

Comment

• TxF
                        TxF commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Plate ribs @ my H-E-B is a relatively new thing, don’t remember the price per pound, but they run Bout $30 so $7.00 a rib. That’s half the price of a good Ribeye, if I cook it right it’s almost as good.

Huh. All of a sudden 30lbs of Cheshire full spares @ $202 doesn’t look so bad.
                      We have the most amazing cuts of pork butt, bacon, ham, pork belly, pork chops, BBQ, Salami, and much more.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here