Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need help from Canadians abt bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need help from Canadians abt bacon

I have always thought Canadian Bacon was smoked. Isn't it? No guessing. Only if you KNOW.

Canadian bacon or pea meal bacon as we refer to it is not smoked to my knowledge, simply cured and covered in cornmeal.
    Sliced in up to 1/4” slabs and fried.
    Side bacon or pork belly is of course smoked.
    The more learned on here will correct me if I’m wrong.

Comment

Pic of a couple of slices we carved up yesterday offa loin
      Very pink, raw still has the white fat ring around the loin and the corn meal.
      No smoke ring of any kind.
      Attached Files

Comment

Well if it is not, then you are not alone in your belief, because I found commercial products with labels that say they are clearly smoked.

I am not Canadian; so with that in mind... I think the confusion is between what is Canadian bacon. Is it called Canadian bacon in Canada or just back bacon?

So, I am thinking (guessing ) Canadian bacon is "back bacon" that is cured and smoked.

And not...
        Peameal bacon is a variety of back bacon popular in southern Ontario where the loin is wet cured before being rolled in cornmeal (originally yellow pea meal); it is unsmoked
        Attached Files
        Last edited by djl; June 6, 2021, 05:43 PM. Reason: Fixed punctuation

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
          Editing a comment
          that's not Canadian Bacon, that's what us silly Americans call Canadian. The good stuff is like English bacon sorta...

• Meathead
          Meathead commented
          Editing a comment
          Purchased in US or Canada?

• UncleSpike
          UncleSpike commented
          Editing a comment
          Sure. And we all live in igloos up here too... ;-)

Much as I like the pea meal crusted pork loin I don't consider it to be Canadian Bacon (cured not smoked). I have always believed it is a smoked pork loin sliced thin to become Canadian Bacon. Requires very little cooking compared to regular side bacon. England has both beat as there you can buy bacon that includes the loin and the side bacon in one big slice, it is available both smoked and just cured, best of both worlds.

Comment

Canada’s Food Inspection Agency has three classifications for bacon:
          23 Bacon
          • Boneless pork belly
          • Salt
          • Preservative
          • Water
          • Seasoning
          • Phosphates
          • Ice
          • Meat broth
          • Spices
          • Alcohol
          • Sweetening agents
          Cured None
          24 Back Bacon
          • Boneless pork loin
          • Salt
          • Preservative
          • Water
          • Seasoning
          • Phosphates
          • Ice
          • Meat broth
          • Spices
          • Alcohol
          • Sweetening agents
          Cured and smoked, with an internal temperature during smoking of no less than 58°C None
          25 Wiltshire Bacon
          • Boneless pork loin with portion of belly attached
          • Salt
          • Preservative
          • Water
          • Seasoning
          • Phosphates
          • Ice
          • Meat broth
          • Spices
          • Alcohol
          • Sweetening agents
          Cured None

Comment

Canadian bacon, also called peameal bacon is not smoked, but wet cured pork loin. Google peameal bacon to learn more.
            cheers
            Bill

Comment

As a Michigander who has spend a little time in Canada, I think it's important to be specific about what you're calling "Canadian Bacon." Here in MI, if you order Canadian bacon you should expect something resembling a cured and smoked pork loin, very lean, more or less resembling a very lean ham. It comes in roundish slices and goes great on a homemade McMuffin.

In southern Ontario, peameal bacon has no apparent smoke and is more like a traditional ham, except it's loin and coated with ground corn. It's roasted and sliced.

I'm not 100% sure about what someone from Canada would expect if they simply ordered "bacon" but I expect it depends on your location.

Comment

I just think we’ve been hosed. What they call Canadian Bacon in Merica is some kinda bacon made in the states & given an Great North name. It’s gotta come from the R province to be the rill thing. 🙃

Comment

This thread reminded me of this -

Comment

• FireMan
                    FireMan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hilarious skit done by 2 of Canada’s best ever.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here