Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Testing Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Testing Ribs

For those of you that have experimented with the various breeds of pig out there, what would you say produces the most flavor rib meat?

Berkshire, (Kurobuta)
    Last edited by wrgilb; June 3, 2021, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Cows

Comment

All my ribs are "test" ribs. hey, couldn't resist the typo in the subject line.

Comment

• Eric2662
          Eric2662 commented
          Editing a comment
          haha I just saw that. haha

I’ve tried Berkshire, Compart, and Kurobuta, along with Hatfield ribs that we get in Wegman’s. My honest opinion is that the Hatfield ribs are as good as any of them, for 1/4 the price and a 10 minute drive.

Comment

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          My "testbuds" at my age can't tell the difference. I go CostCo

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          FYI: Berkshire is kurobuta. Same thing.

I have bought ribs from my local Giant that are labeled St. Louis or Back Ribs packed by Swift I think. They taste great and are very meaty. I have gotten a number of baby back ribs from a local farm/butcher that is well known in our area. They are OK but have half the meat and are roughly twice the price. I don't go there any more.

Comment

Red wattle or old spot/Gloucester.

no wait: the Mangalitsa hybrid that crowd cow sells every now and again. That’s the best pork I’ve ever had for home use.

berkshire/kurobuta are delicious animals, but have small ribs…

here’s the thing. And I realize this makes me sound like a hippie. The breed matters less than the feed. A well treated, humanely killed pig will produce better tasting pork than a poorly treated or cruelly killed pig. A happy pig who gets to sit around in some mud, trot around, and eat well will make the best pork.

but a mangalitsa or a red wattle that’s been treated well… that’s peak pork.

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            I’ve been trying to get Mangalitsa spare ribs for a while. It’s a slow-growing breed that gets harvested in early spring and early fall, and there aren’t a lot of them to begin with.

All I’ve ever gotten with kurobuta are shiners. Duroc are larger. Haven’t had red wattle. I’m interested in trying Iberico.

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, I've never gotten Iberico Bellotta, as the prices here are sheer madness.

The shape of the kurobuta/berkshire just means they will have slim ribs...

I forgot one... The Tamworth... the bacon pig... if the breed produces the perfect bacon, should produce a nice sparerib, though they may be cut to shiners, due to the bacon.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here