Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheese...What's your favorite with pulled pork Samies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheese...What's your favorite with pulled pork Samies?

I am feeding the crew on Monday. I always do a BBQ cookout for the crew to kick the year off. Some like to throw some cheese on their pulled pork sandwiches. With pumpkin season just around the corner, this is always a great way for us to get some extra calories in before the big harvest. Just looking for some ideas on what types of cheeses are your favorites. Thanks guys/gals.

Here's a few pics from the harvest last year.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2170.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	103970 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2327.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	103971 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2175.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	103972 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2230.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	103973

I'd personally wouldn't want cheese on a pulled pork sandwich; that said, take a page from Arby's and go with muenster. It's a good cheese for smoked foods. Smoked provolone would also work well.

Comment

i use provolone. i don't care for munster, it's a bland nothing cheese in my eyes

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree Stevehtn , good meunster (to me) is yummy and has character, but it is mild. Like any cheese, you can get some cheap brands that are bland. Often famous national brands, even though they may tout themselves as old world and premium and such, aren't top notch. Cheese is a kraft like wine making.

• Yno
        Yno commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee, you must have Kraft Mac n Cheese on your mind. Wine making is a craft, not a kraft! Thanks for a laugh this morning! And I would go with Swiss, just to be different.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Yno I like to blame autocorrect

I love cheese, but I don't put it on pulled pork sandwiches. So, my answer is none. No cheese on pulled pork.

Comment

I dont use cheese on pulled pork either... BUT Provolone would be my choice if I was gonna put some on.

Comment

If i had to put cheese on I'd probably go with a jalapeño or habanero pepper jack cheese.

Comment

• mackdaddy
            mackdaddy commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree with Dr ROK. If any go with the hot pepper type cheese.

I've done provolone and loved it. But like many I tend to not use cheese often with pulled pork. I also did pulled pork nachos once and used cheddar and it rocked. But on sammies I'd personally go with provolone. It adds little to the flavor, but I think that's the point in my book. It just adds that 'there's-cheese-on-this' texture.
          Last edited by Huskee; August 20, 2015, 02:35 PM.

Comment

• Stevehtn
            Stevehtn commented
            Editing a comment
            Exactly. If you're gonna have cheese on pulled pork, it should be there for the texture, not the flavor. My .02

No cheese on pulled pork or beef sammiches. A touch of Que sauce and tangy Slaw.

Comment

• Ray
            Ray commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm with you, Ernest! One question would be" which Q sauce"?

I've been know to throw a slice of sharp cheddar on a reheated pulled pork sammy.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep me too. Tillamook.

Let's see hummm cheese on pulled pork? I would go with Pepper Jack cheese with some slices of Jalopeno peppers and a splash of hot sauce. And a good COLD brew to chase it with.

Comment

Thanks all, I also don't use cheese but some people last year were asking for cheese, so I thought that I would just have it as an option.
            Ernest Huskee Dr ROK DeusDingo Stevehtn David Parrish smarkley DWCowles Mosca Stevehtn

Thanks Again!

Comment

I've been having fun using the griddle when reheating pulled pork or brisket. Heat it up on there, put some sauce on that puppy, get a sizzle going. MUST is a well-buttered bun, nice and crispy on said griddle. And Smoked Gouda to melt right on the top after I've got the sweet-sauce infused meat all nice and carmelized on the griddle...
              Click image for larger version

Name:	BdNOrmw0PUiLU-lp_3rHXllW-kIbS8tja9hrUEwv3Go=s1017-no.jpeg
Views:	116
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	104379

OK, you caught me...I didn't have a pic of the Smoked Gouda ones. But this shreaded Colby Jack is really good too!

Now I'm hungry!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here