Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rib fest for the neighborhood.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rib fest for the neighborhood.

I’m starting to mentally put together a "rib fest" per se for our neighbors. I’m thinking that there will be roughly up to 35 maybe a few more that would likely show up. I have a 22wsm with the Hunsaker rib hanger, I have 12 hooks to hang, I can get more hooks, I have a 26 kettle, and a 22 kettle. I might want to do three plates of dino as well. Which I would cut and create the serving size... I’m thinking that the wsm can hang 15 racks, without much of a problem. And I can run likely 3 plates of dino ribs on my 26 with some maneuvering, maybe 2. And then a third plate on my 22 kettle. I’m thinking I need a huge cooler to be the warming box. What am I not thinking about? This may not happen either. It could possibly just be invite a few neighbors every few weeks for a cook out. My first thought is , I need another 22 wsm! Lol I would rely on neighbors to bring sides, and beverages.. but, I would love to pull this off annually.
    Last edited by Richard Chrz; May 31, 2021, 03:11 PM.

How far ahead can you smoke ribs, and then warm them up a bit in a cooker, or..? I’m sure I can get some neighbors to help with wrapping, etc... as well.

Comment

Wondering if one the closer neighbors has a kettle they could move to your place for the cook.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        My neighbors tend to have pellet feeders, I’m sure they would be willing to move a few into our driveway. That would definitely save me from the conversation that would begin, if I grab another 22wsm, and still got a 24 WSCG with table, . 😜
        Last edited by Richard Chrz; May 31, 2021, 03:28 PM.

I think the biggest area of need, might be helping me trim and prep the ribs. I’m kind of ocd on many things, trimming meat is one of those areas it shows up. Plus refrigerator space....

Comment

Ok, starting to see my lack of understanding of this. I do not have enough refrigerator space. Despite having three... this may have to go to smaller cook outs..

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Do you know someone with a refrigerated truck?

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          RonB I will have to figure some of this out, maybe I have that option, just do not know it. The idea trying out the larger, and larger cooks, excites me a bit! I want to pull some of these cooks off!

• Sweaty Paul
          Sweaty Paul commented
          Editing a comment
          If you’re gonna have some adult beverages maybe one of your local beer distributors would have a portable beer cooler that could double as a refrigeration unit.

I've got a solution. Just order a large LSG insulated cabinet smoker. Of course the party won't be before this fall!

Comment

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          Everyone needs friends like you!

About 25 years ago, I held a rib feast party. I read somewhere that I should cook 1/2 pounds of ribs for each guest.

So I invited 45 people. And F-ed the math, bought 90 pounds of ribs. And cooked my f-ing ass off!! Everyone went home with ribs!

And I still had a freezer full of ribs after all was said and done!

Comment

Ok, while looking at this on, online paper, it may be a better opportunity to coach ribs to my neighbors, and have more of us engaged in this process to feed the neighbors that have other strengths, coaching a few neighbors is likely even more rewarding,

im already building this into a street party with live music and calling it the annual neighborhood-q
          Last edited by Richard Chrz; May 31, 2021, 06:04 PM.

Comment

• RickyBobby
            RickyBobby commented
            Editing a comment
            I don’t live in your neighborhood, but can a pit brother crash the party?

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            To me that sounds like a plan, even if it means some get done on pellet cooker - it will get others in the neighborhood involved.

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Richard, it’s called teaching em how to fish! 😎

Sounds like you need to move out to the country where you have more specs for cookers and less neighbors who have to be taught how to cook ribs.

Comment

If you want to do a couple of big cooks a year and MCS is nipping at your ass may I suggest a Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24. You could easily hang 12 racks of ribs in it. I haven’t cooked that many but I’ve done 8 in mine. As a bonus if you don’t add wood chunks or chips it is an outdoor oven.

Comment

This past Sunday was "Rib Fest" at our house. I served homemade McRib Sandwiches, Blasphemy Ribs, rib tips, three racks wet style, and two racks Memphis style. Baked beans, potato salad, and mac and cheese. Fed 25 people with very few ribs leftover. We had a great time and your neighbors will love it. Keep us posted on your progress!

Comment

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Wibs, Wibs & mo Wibs! My kind a gatherin!

When I need to do a lot of ribs, I bring out my Orion Cookers. I have two of them and can do six racks in each. Only takes and hour and twenty minutes to perfect tenderness. I can hold a first batch in a low oven and do another batch and have 24 racks in 3 hours. Works like a charm and the ribs are delish.

Comment

I know all the different types of ribs sounds attractive, but personally, especially if you involve others with smokers in the cook, I would consider simplifying, and just doing all the same kind of ribs - St. Louis or Baby back. I've found that managing too many kinds of meat that cook different lengths of time in a big cook can become a pain. It's easy if all the ribs are the same and all take 5-6 hours.

Comment

One thing I would suggest is you NOT overload that WSM with too many racks of ribs. All that dripping grease will play havoc with the cooker and its tough to manipulate that many to begin with. Try to source more cookers to have greater cooking area, I think you'll find it more manageable.

Comment

• jfmorris
                    jfmorris commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Along these lines, he can also get rib racks for the cookers he has. I routinely do up to 5 slabs on edge on a 22" kettle with the SNS using the Weber rib rack that I got for like $10 at Home Depot. I just have to rotate them end over end halfway through the cook, since the edge higher in the kettle gets done faster.

For more reasons than just this rib fest.....I wish you were my neighbor.

I would look into a cabinet smoker. You get much more cooking space for the foot print!

Comment

• jfmorris
                    jfmorris commented
                    Editing a comment
                    We should all be so lucky to have a neighbor like him!

I agree. This would be an ideal cook for the Smokevault 24.
                    Last edited by jfmorris; June 1, 2021, 03:38 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here