Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork brisket

I bought a pork brisket from Porter Road. I’ve never cooked one, or even, eaten one. I’ll be cooking it low and slow on a Yoder. Any suggestions? Thanks

Eat when done.

Comment

• swartzster
      swartzster commented
      Editing a comment
      Why didn’t I think of that

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Ditto, and Ditto.

Here’s a good article that can help you. Looks like you cook it similar to a beef brisket.

Never heard of a pork brisket? Check out our Smoked Pork Brisket recipe to learn how you can turn this new cut into a flavorful dish.

Comment

• swartzster
      swartzster commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the link. I followed their instructions and it came out really good. I think it’s a piece of meat that I’ll order again

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John Great article. I actually read the whole thing.

• rlozinak
      rlozinak commented
      Editing a comment
      Good Article

Looking at them at the store they seem to be the opposite of a beef brisket. The point is more of the picnic and the flat is more of the belly.

Comment

Troutman did one a while back. Quick skim says 250 to an internal of around 200.

A little over a year ago I was on a big, beefy dino rib kick. I found the largest plates I could find on Porter Road and ordered one only to be told they were temporarily out of stock. It gave me the option to get on their waiting list so I did. After a couple of weeks I again tried to order not having heard anything and got

Comment

I got 2 as well, but not sure when I'll get them on the cooker. I was planning on doing one with a salt and pepper TX brisket rub and then the other one I think I'm going to use the Hard Core Carnivore Red. Only about 3 different cooking suggestions I've seen on the Net. I'll probably try what Troutman did and then someone else did lower for 4ish hours, so I'll try that too.

Comment

• swartzster
          swartzster commented
          Editing a comment
          I cooked it yesterday. 225 for about 5 hours. I used a rib rub from a local place. It was pretty good. I’ll be ordering more

Here are a few more pigsket cooks links:

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...2-0#post878283

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...riment-pigsket

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...cos#post884943

Kathryn

Comment

• swartzster
          swartzster commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you

I've had a 1.9# pork brisket from Porter Road in the deep freeze since last summer, and pulled it out last night, defrosted and dry brined overnight. Today I seasoned it with a 50/50 mix of Hank's Bonafide Beef and Hank's KC Royale rubs, per a suggestion from Henrik quite some time ago. It's been smoking on the SNSK at 225-250 since about 12:30pm today, and 4 hours in, has just hit 160F. I think I will let it roll unwrapped and check things again when it hits 190F. At the current rate of progress, that will be at 6pm or so.

To me it is hard to believe a little 2 pound chunk of pork about 2 inches thick is taking so cotton picking long to reach 195F!

I also tossed a pot of black eyed peas on the grill about an hour ago, to go along with the pork brisket. Hopefully those will pick up a little smoke as well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5199.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.17 MB ID:	1036086Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5204.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.23 MB ID:	1036085
        Last edited by jfmorris; May 25, 2021, 03:31 PM.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          wrgilb it took over 6 hours, with the last hour wrapped in foil, to hit 190 on my probe. There results were very good though!

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Henrik the flavor profile of the two rubs worked very well with this cut of meat. My wife is usually a "sauce" person and she wanted nothing on this meat. The combination of the dry brine, the smoke, the Bonafide Beef and the lemon peppery KC Royale on juicy pork was very very good.

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Cool, that’s great to hear. I wish I could find pork brisket here, need to talk to a butcher.

So how did you like that pigsket, jfmorris ?

Kathryn

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Considering there were NO leftovers and zero waste - the precooked weight was 1.9 pounds, and it was probably well under 1.5 from shrinkage - it was a huge success! It was an interesting cut. A little like a beef brisket in consistency, but also like the best and juiciest pork loin you ever had.

I will order one again some time for sure.

I enjoyed the pigsket but not the value assigned to it. Considering it was as expensive as it was and what little meat you eventually get from one, it's only really good as an appetizer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pigsket 06.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	1036494

Click image for larger version

Name:	pigsket 04.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	1036495Click image for larger version

Name:	pigsket 05 IG.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	1036496

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed in that you won't feed a crowd with a pork brisket. I look at it like I would an expensive steak, and it was a fine meal for two.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          We ate what you see there standing at the kitchen island in about 5 minutes. Tasty but too expensive as I mentioned. Probably order 3 if I ever do it again.

Uh oh. I'm glad I bought two of them, Troutman .

K.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Kathryn, you will like it. Consider it like you would a steak or something in that same weight range. It's an appetizer for a crowd, as Troutman says, or a meal for 2-3 depending on the size of the pork brisket. Mine was 1.9 pounds, and the two of us ate it all. I probably ate a lot more than Yvonne though.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here