Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Double Smoked Ham FTW!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double Smoked Ham FTW!!!

Decided to do this for Mother's Day. Safeway had spiral cut hams on sale for $0.79/lb ..... I got a 12 lb ham for less than $10.

I've read this recipe on the public side several times, but had never done it. If you haven't check it out, take a look.

For the glaze and cooking liquids, I used Chris Lilly's apricot spiced glaze. But you know me, I had to shake it up a bit :-)

Glaze recipe
    - 1/2 cup raspberry freezer jam
    - 1/2 cup honey
    - 1 tbsp dijon mustard
    - 1 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauc
    - 1/2 tsp soy sauce
    - 1/2 tsp paprika
    - 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
    - 1/2 tsp chili powder
    - 1/4 tsp garlic powder
    - 1/8 tsp cinnamon powder
    - 1/8 tsp ground cloves
    - 1/8 tsp rubbed sage

This was very well received by my wife and by the two daughters.

I also am here to tell you that a 12 lb bone in ham at 250 takes an extra hour to get to 130 internal compared to the estimated 2 1/2 hours in the recipe. :-D

Wife says I can do this again and please use the bone for some navy bean soup!

I think trimming the skin and fat off made a big difference .... about to go on Hasty-Bake
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2790.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	3.12 MB ID:	1030215

Been smoking for about 40 minutes, ready to wrap
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2792.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	3.11 MB ID:	1030219

Wrapped in foil, added chicken stock and 4 tbsp of glaze into the foil
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2793.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	2.98 MB ID:	1030216

Ham is about 130 internal temp, have added a couple layers of glaze
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2797.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	3.46 MB ID:	1030223

Finishing over direct heat to caramelize the glaze
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2799.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	3.31 MB ID:	1030221
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2798.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	3.41 MB ID:	1030224

Serving with cheesy potatoes, of course
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2803.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	2.72 MB ID:	1030218

There's that bone for making navy bean soup!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2805.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	2.41 MB ID:	1030217

The ham is moist and the glaze has tons of great flavor
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2802.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	3.13 MB ID:	1030220Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2800.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	3.43 MB ID:	1030222Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2801.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	3.64 MB ID:	1030225
    Last edited by ecowper; May 11, 2021, 12:33 PM.

Yes indeed! That’s just about every Christmas around here! Nicely done.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      yeah, I'm thinking about doing this for Christmas instead of a Rib Roast. Although I think my FIL will be very upset if I do that

I did my first one for Easter using the Chris Lilly recipe as written. I really can't see ever buying a Honeybaked ham again. This is as good or better, for a fraction of the price.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      yeah, pretty sure I'm just buying the low cost stuff in the grocery store from now on. That recipe makes a huge difference.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Also, I liked how my version of Chris Lilly's glaze turned out. I took out cayenne and brown sugar, added chili powder, and substituted raspberry jam for apricot preserves. I think you can change up this glaze a bit without issues :-)

Ham looks great. I have made your cheezy potatoes a bunch and even have some in the freezer. Great side!

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      That cheesy potatoes recipe is all Stacy, I cannot take credit for it. But it is great, glad you like it.

I, like you, play with the glaze. Mostly because I always have some kind of jam or preserves in the fridge, but frequently no apricot.

Comment

That hambone has Rancho Gordo Marcella beans written all over it.

K.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        you must be reading my mind again

Wow! That looks amazing! I've not done a ham in a couple of years. Time to change that up!

Comment

Outstanding, I've got a spiral ham sitting in the fridge that's going on one of the cookers this weekend.
        Only problem would be the apricot glaze, wouldn't be well received up here by the ingrates.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          just do the glaze and don't tell them ;-)

Looks amazing!

Comment

I tried a smoked ham yesterday and followed Malcolm Reed's method, which is different from Meathead's in these ways:
          • No spritzing with water. No pre-treatment of any sort.
          • Smokes it in a barrel (more moist environment)
          • 275° for the whole cook
          • Does not wrap it
          • Smokes for 2 hours
          • when it comes time to glaze, he moves it to a disposable aluminum pan and brushes a very liquidy glaze on it, a mixture of apple jelly and Blues Hogs Raspberry Chipotle sauce
          • Smokes the glazed ham for 30 minutes longer.
          • Pronounces it done and eats it.
          I mimicked his recipe but used Chris Lilly's glaze straight up, on an 8.11 lb, spiral sliced, (bone in) ham from Harris Teeter.

At 3 hours into the cook, the spiral sliced section of the ham was good to go at 130°, ready for the glaze. However, the unspiralized section of the ham (the top of the cone down to about halfway) was only at 112°. I dithered between glazing and slicing off the spiralized part, putting the undercooked part back on to finish up, or just let it ride. I let it ride. This was an experiment after all.

By 4.75 hours, I took the ham off, fully glazed, ready to eat. The glaze had remained on the ham for 1 hour. It was set beautifully.
          Results:
          • The glaze was delicious. Not apricot-y at all, as I had feared. Not too sweet either.
          • The spiralized part of the ham was not dry. Color me surprised as all get out. That moist PBC environment is so forgiving.
          • The solid (unspiralized) part of the ham was tender and juicy.

So would I do this cook again? Nope. If I had gone by time alone as Malcolm Reed did, I would have an undercooked ham all around at the 2.5 hour mark. Not once did he use an instant read thermometer or use a remote thermometer with meat and ambient temp probes in his video. He's probably done a million of these hams, and knows what works for him. But it did not work for me.

Next time I'll be wrapping the ham like Meathead, the SnS guys, and ecowper does. There was no sauce to serve with the ham with Malcolm's method and the cook took a loooong time for an 8 lb ham.

By the time the ham was done, the supper hour had come and gone. We had BLTs instead. Wah. I sliced off several portions of the ham to test them though. Golly it tasted good!

​
          The Chef's Cut:

Kathryn
          Last edited by fzxdoc; June 7, 2021, 12:23 PM.

Comment

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm really wondering if SV, then finish in the oven is the way to go with this. That was the conclusion I reached after I did my first one on Easter. I would think the danger of drying it out would be pretty much eliminated that way. Also, the ham I bought was plenty smoky without me adding more to it in the smoker.

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Steve R. , did you SV your Easter ham in the cryovac it came in? What cook time did you use?
            K.

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            No, I just followed the directions for double smoking it. Kind of a hybrid of Meathead's and Malcolm Reed's approaches. While I was walking that tightrope of reaching the desired IT while also not drying it out, I wondered if there was a better way. It took way longer than I had anticipated. If and when I do this, I'll probably just leave it in the Cryovac bag.
            Last edited by Steve R.; June 8, 2021, 06:52 AM.

I am going to giver this a shot. I tried it with the apricot glaze and didn't really like it that much. I have done a honey butter glaze that we liked, but of course I was improvising and didn't write it down so it is lost. I got to start documenting this stuff.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here