Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Other uses for pork sausage meat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other uses for pork sausage meat.

I found a local farm producing some heritage breeds and will be testing a few breeds very soon. Speaking with the owner he says he is restricted in what he produces by ground sausage. He can sell all of the shoulders, hams and bacon he can make but isn't selling enough ground sausage to make it worth doing too many more pigs without raising prices.

This would make my pork much more expensive, but if I don't go overboard it is worth it for a local farmer. So to the question, any idea of what else can be done with this sausage, or the meat that is traditionally used to make sausage?The main challenge he says isn't flavor, it's partially the level of fat in sausage that a lot of people are getting away from plus the costs aren't worth it for people who aren't using it as center of the plate protein.

It kills me how people want lean sausage nowadays. Have to add lard whenever I make sausage gravy because the pan is virtually dry with this modern day pathetic excuse for pork. Honestly wish I were rich, cause I'd singlehanded take care of your problem by buying up every last ounce of sausage the guy is willing to make. LOL. I can't really think of too many other uses for it though. Maybe render the fat out for lard, and use the meat for cooked sausage?

Comment

• _John_
      _John_ commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree but don't have enough recipes using sausage to cover what I eat in shoulder, ribs, and butts.

• Stevehtn
      Stevehtn commented
      Editing a comment
      _John_ I like sausage in lasagnes sometimes (if I'm in the mood for the American version with cottage cheese), mixed half with ground beef. You can use it to make hot tamales (it's a southern thing). I'm sure I can think of other stuff as the day goes on.

There is no end to the different types of sausage that can be made with pork trim, most of them easy & delicious. Check out "The Spicy Sausage" and "Sausage Mania" websites. Actually one of my favorites is a grilled pork burger. No spices other than salt & pepper. Grill it like a beef hamburger and enjoy.

Comment

• _John_
      _John_ commented
      Editing a comment
      I like a pork, beef mix in a burger, I just don't know enough about the cuts to know what they are, fat content etc to know how they could be used.

_John_ , where, generally do you live?

A friend of mine is a small farmer who raises heritage hogs. Small world?

Comment

• _John_
      _John_ commented
      Editing a comment
      NW Arkansas, his place is NE Oklahoma

• richinlbrg
      richinlbrg commented
      Editing a comment
      NOPE! Nowhere close to Northern, VA!!

LOL

But lucky for us that we both know farmers!

Hi _John_

I generally use 1 lb pork sausage mixed in with 1 lb ground chuck when I make spaghetti sauce. I grind my own pork and use a spice recipe to make Hot Italian Sausage. I have the recipe and spices to make Bratwurst, but it would be burgers as I don't have a sausage stuffer. Also have recipes for Chorizo!

I like to buy butts when they're on sale, and generally get about 5lbs + ground. I think the fat content from grinding butts is about 20%, which is most desirable. Do not waste a pork loin for grinding!

Here's a good link for sausage making!

Complete sausage making guide with tutorials, recipes, and tips on equipment and techniques.

HTH,

-- Ed

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here