Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sliced pork back ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sliced pork back ribs

I got a great deal on sliced pork back ribs and have been searching for how to smoke them. I was wondering if you guys have ever done these. I am guessing that I would smoke them similar to a whole rack with a little less time. And, that cup cake is up for grabs :-) I use a Kamado Joe.
    Attached Files

In my part of the world, these cuts would be called pork steak or "country ribs". They are cut from the area where the ribs end and the shoulder starts. You can get "country ribs" that are more like pork chops (pork loin), ones that are more like pork shoulder, and some that are a mix of both.

Yours look to be more like boneless pork shoulder cuts - they have a darker color and more marbling -- so I'd cook them fairly slowly on moderate to low heat. I don't normally cook even the shoulder-type cuts for hours like ribs. I usually grill them slowly -- maybe 1 to 1 1/2 hours. But cooking them like real ribs is certainly an option to try.

The ones that look more like loin meat -- paler, more uniform -- need to be cooked more like pork chops to keep them from being dry as dust.

There are lots of opinions about cooking various types of country ribs in other threads -- search for that name to get ideas.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Exactly what the always astute IowaGirl said

Thank you IowaGirl

Comment

We ate these growing up in the ‘60s. They’re "country style ribs". I still make them the way my mom used to. She would grill them, then simmer them in bbq sauce for about an hour. They come out fantastic, lots of crispy bits and very tender.

Comment

They pretty much covered it. But at least the price was reduced for YOU!
        Now the cupcake, whoa that’s another matter. Some like to peel the wrapper, some like to eat it holding it in the wrapper from the top. Small bites make it last longer. 🕶

Comment

• MissMouse
          MissMouse commented
          Editing a comment
          😂 I thought the reduced for YOU was funny too - meat is getting so expensive I am always looking for bargains. Now the cup cake issue - I like to take the wrapper off them break the cc in half saving the top for last.

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Oooh, half bottom to top wise! Best fer last.

I do what Mosca described. This recipe from BBQ Pit Boys is my favorite. I just watched this video for the first time in a while. I love how he tells you all the ingredient amounts yet never touches the measuring cup sitting on the table.

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          That is EXACTLY how I do them, and how my mom did them 50 years ago!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here