Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

14 lb Packer Brisket AND an 8.5 lb pork butt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

14 lb Packer Brisket AND an 8.5 lb pork butt.

So I was tagged to cook only the brisket for the party tomorrow but now have been asked to do the butt as well. After posting a question on the brisket and answered (thanks Mr. Bones & bbLuv) my new question is should I cook both on my GMG at the same time? I'm planning on doing the Brisket at 225, wrapping at about 165 but also separating the flat and point at that time as I plan on making burnt ends. The three cuts will rest about three hours prior to serving in the hot box. I have a 6 lead thermometer so I can watch all three cuts at the same time and have a Weber Genesis at the ready if needed. I have 20 people to feed and they can be a real crusty crowd if this turns south. Thanks in advance for all help....

I have cooked both at the same time. Once on a Yoder and a few years later on a Backwoods. Just give yourself plenty of time and go by the internal temp. Recommend 2-4 hour cambro window.
    Last edited by jlazar; April 30, 2021, 02:41 PM.

Comment

I did that last Saturday night. Had the butt in a little warmer area of the pellet pooper.

Comment

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        Something about that statement is just wrong!

I suggest 250° minimum for cookin' them. All 225° does is make the cook longer.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        When people ask a temp question, I tell them it just depends if I'm putting something smoking at lunch time or at bedtime.

• Burfman
        Burfman commented
        Editing a comment
        Got up at 0300hrs, prepped and on the smoker at 0400. Getting close to splitting the point and flat and then wrapping. Interesting that the flat and point are only about 5 degrees apart right now and the butt is in the rear by about 25 degrees. Dinner at 1730hrs Phoenix time.

• Burfman
        Burfman commented
        Editing a comment
        Follow up to the event last night. All came out great. Many of the guests had never had Burnt Ends and that platter was emptied very quickly. Lots of compliments. Not sure I'll wrap with paper again as it seemed to not work as well as the Texas crutch, I'm guessing because the paper breathe's and foil doesn't. I would use the paper when putting in the hot box so it doesn't steam but not for cooking. Thanks again to all that commented and helped in making this cook a success.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here