Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork collar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork collar

At our local store I noticed a package marked pork collar. Never heard of it before. Has anyone cooked one of these before?

Thanks for the post. I googled Pork Collar. There is information on this cut.
    I just may have to give it a try.
    Pork collar/neck fillet | Professional Secrets

Comment

Very good cut. Treat it like the butt, it is what is referred to as the money muscle if I remember correctly. Have bought several from SRF. I usually pull it at about 160-180F cube it and use it in chili.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        👌👍

• theroc
        theroc commented
        Editing a comment
        +1

Frequently when I get pork butts, I liberate the collar (AKA Coppa, AKA money muscle) and smoke it at 225º-250º either on the rotisserie or BGE. Pull at about 160º-170º IT and slice.

The collar is a great cut.

Click image for larger version  Name:	raw.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.3 KB ID:	1021619

Click image for larger version  Name:	2a.jpg Views:	0 Size:	106.0 KB ID:	1021620

Click image for larger version  Name:	sliced.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.7 KB ID:	1021621

Oops, just realized sliced collar is not the same one as the other 2 pictures. Both were collars cut from grocery store butts and cooked on kettle with rotisserie though.
      Last edited by johnec00; April 23, 2021, 01:00 PM. Reason: Added oops statement

Comment

• jerrybell
        jerrybell commented
        Editing a comment
        Pretty sure we wouldn't have known they weren't the same if you hadn't told us.

The depth of AR, thanks Johnny, amazing!

Comment

One of my most favorite cuts. I like them as steaks with a nice sear in CI. I like them as roasts either on the grill or oven. I like them in a box! I like them with a fox! Now I want a coppa roast. Dang it! Looks fantastic!

Comment

• willxfmr
          willxfmr commented
          Editing a comment
          Never tried fox. They good eating?

Sonny's BBQ in Florida has used this cut for their smoked, sliced pork for many years and it is/was amazing - flavorful and moist. I'm trying my first one tomorrow on my MAK 2 star pellet smoker. Got it from Heritage Cheshire Farms here in NC.
        johnec00 - Thanks for the tip on what temp to pull it. I was originally thinking since it's the "money muscle" in a pork shoulder, I was going to cook it to about 205 internal like when I do the shoulder or butt. Would hate to overcook it.

Comment

• JakeT
          JakeT commented
          Editing a comment
          I’d only go to 160 maybe 180 on that as ofelles stated above. Whenever I do shoulder steaks I only go to 165 and they’re delish.

The above is if you intend on slicing, not pulling.
          Last edited by JakeT; May 1, 2021, 03:40 PM.

Thanks JakeT.
        Dry brined it last night, dry rub on this morning and just started her at 235F and going to pull it at 165 internal and slice.

Comment

How did it turn out, dsevvy ?

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here