Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Double smoked ham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double smoked ham

Twice now I have cooked the double smoked ham. Each time i carefully followed the recipe, including making Bob Lilly's Apricot glaze.
    I cooked at 225 degrees with a Thermopen meat thermometer in the ham. Each time I took the ham to 130 degrees, glazed the ham on the hot side and the finished temp was 140 degrees. Just like the recipe says.
    Each time the ham was overcooked and dry.
    I do believe that taking the ham to 140 degrees is way too much.
    I'm about to do another one. This time I intend to only bring the ham to about 120 degrees before glaziing on the hot side, bringing final temp to about 125.

Any thoughts?

This is a precooked/cured ham, right? So you don't need to worry about temp from a food safety standpoint? In that case, I'd do what you outline.

Hams vary, so what might result in a dry ham one time might be a different result another but the key thing is to work with the hams YOU get.

Comment

I would suspect that the ham was overcooked, and therefore dry, before you ever brought it home. I just did one this past weekend using that same recipe and it turned out great.

Comment

I did my Easter ham in the kitchen oven this year. SWMBO insisted on it.
        I cooked it at 250 and pulled it at 130 IT for service. Parts were dry, other parts so-so. I think it was the ham.
        Last edited by Jfrosty27; April 13, 2021, 01:56 PM.

Comment

I presoak (desalinate) my spiral cut ham for a couple of hours before putting on the smoker. I think the addition of water in between the layers help the ham retain moisture and prevents it from drying out. I smoke at 185 to 200 degrees for a couple of hours. When it starts to near 120 degrees, I'll glaze and bring the smokers temp up to 225 to 250. Pull the ham at 140. This has produced pretty consistent tender and juicy ham for me.

Comment

I have cooked this ham a bunch. rickgregory is spot on if the ham is already cooked getting to 140 is not that big of a deal. However, I do think others are correct it is all in the ham itself. I typically cook at 275ish indirect and start glazing at around the 125 mark and have not had an issue with drying. Much of this I do believe is luck in the spiral sliced ham itself.

Comment

I would smoke a pre-cooked ham at a higher temperature for a shorter time to get the ham to temp without drying it out. Several sources I looked at recommended 275 to 325 F for 10 to 15 minutes per pound. That sounds reasonable.

Also after the first hour or so of smoking, the ham could be covered with foil to reduce evaporation. A kiss of extra smoke is all that I'm looking for anyways, so covering the ham makes sense to me. I'm not shooting for a thick candied glaze although I understand why that has its appeal.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback

Comment

I do these a lot, (at least did] pre Covid, 2019 did 78 fer friends an Family, neighbours, coworkers, etc....

I did not see where ya mighta mentioned what cooker ya were usin, an, based 'pon my experiences, I definitely do feel like that makes a difference as to how ya conduct such a cook, largely based 'pon thoughput of air, which can be a factour in dryin...I git different results, at th same temps an time, in different cookers, Weber Kettles, GOOR, Offset Smokers...

Please, give us a lil more info to work with, an, surely, some Member who's far brighter than me can help ya git dialed in on yer ideal results.

Best of Luck, ya Gots This, Amigo!
                  Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 13, 2021, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here