Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best pork ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best pork ribs

Good morning! I am smoking some ribs in a friendly office "smoke off." I want to buy something special. Anyone have any recommendations for kurobata/heritage pork ribs online? I use snake river farms for beef but I don't like that their pork ribs are only 1 pound. Thanks!

Personally I would hate to buy a slab of ribs online, sight unseen, and have what I received not be be what I wanted to cook for the competition. They sell spare ribs on Porter Road's website, but based on reviews, some like them and some don't.

Is there a more "upscale" grocery store or butcher shop in your area where you can buy a better quality cut of pork maybe, so that you can see what you are getting? I would expect a slab of St. Louis cut ribs to be at least 3 pounds, and 2-3 for baby backs as well. 1 pound is crazy.

Comment

• Old Glory
      Old Glory commented
      Editing a comment
      Porter Road has great beef but I found the pork ribs on the small side.

I do have a local butcher that has real nice pork. I just wanted to try the kurobuta ribs. I love the waygu brisket and from what I've read, kurobuta is sort of the pork equivalent of that.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Ask your butcher if he can order what you want.

Kurobuta ribs are fantastic. You will love those. I also like to use the St. Louis Style ribs from Swift. They are meaty, and have some great inter-muscular fat.

Comment

• Andjer33
      Andjer33 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. Do you have a place you recommend buying Kurobuta ribs? I don't mind spending the money for a special occasion but I want to make sure if I spend it, I get the best. (c;

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      @Andjer33
      There is a BBQ supply store near me that sells them. you can order them from Snake River Farms. or........

It looks like there are a few spots by you that might sell them.....

Freinschaft Market
      717-490-6130
      Cabalar Meat Co
      717-208-7344

Andjer33 I've bought from Heritage Berkshire, below. Great product and actually doesn't break the bank too bad. I've also heard a lot of good things about the Creekstone Farms Duroc pork. I love their Prime beef too.

Berkshire Pork - Kurobuta pork is highest quality Berkshire pork - all natural.

Comment

I happen to like Porter Road slabs. I have some Creekstone in the freezer and they are above average but Porter Road is better IMO

Comment

I like to see the meat I buy. Costco has prime beef, and as far as I know, there is no grading system for pork, but you may see the meat side of the first rack and the bone side of the bottom rack. So far no problem.

Happy Grilling to you and PBR too.

Comment

I've had great experience with Dartagnan, they are my consistent favorite for this. Have found them very nicely sized, vs online purchases elsewhere which have often been challenging.

(And if you do order then try their duck too!)

Order heritage-breed, Berkshire pork St. Louis-style ribs online from D'Artagnan with our 100% satisfaction guarantee and commitment to quality.

Comment

I just ordered some St. Louis spares from Creekstone. I’ve had good experience with them & their Duroc pork.

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Also a good pick

Thanks for your help, everyone! I ended up ordering some from Berkshirepork.com. I'll let you know how they turn out. The price was pretty steep but they look like the real deal. After I ordered them, someone mentioned Wild Fork Foods which has Berkshire for a much more reasonable price. But Berkshire Pork got real good reviews and they look top notch. Just an FYI. Thanks again!

Comment

Cheshire pork in South Carolina is excellent as is Compart pork here in Mn, Compart is used across the country at KCBS competitions!

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                +1 - I was going to mention Compart Family Farms. They handle Duroc breed. I've also had good luck with Porter Road but it sounds like he's already made his order.

I see that you’ve ordered some ribs!

I also see you’re in Lancaster. If you have a Wegman’s nearby, their house branded ribs are excellent. I prefer them to heritage breeds. The baby backs are a bit too thick, but the center cut ribs are great. Pick up a rack and compare.

Comment

It is all up to you.
                select, trim, season, cook, present, receive the award.
                keep us posted,
                Happy Grilling to you and PBR too.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here