Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mamas Pernil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mamas Pernil

I found a lil magic with my cook shack. I do my pernil (other part of the butt) the traditional latino way aka (shitload of garlic) and smoke it low to get some smoke on it, then I crank to 350. Then when it hits my desired temp I flip them skin side down (1 at a time) and put them on zone 4 (the 2nd grate above the hot zone). I know this a known method to crisp skin but this time, on this cooker, it worked perfect, It came out perfect absolutely perfect. I've been trying for year's on different cookers to get a combo of my moms pernil with the right amount of smoke and crunchy skin and this is it! I think the difference was distance from the flame that might be why it worked, I always had it close to the heat source. When I did it in the oven and it came out well, it also had distance from the flame.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tenphases; April 10, 2021, 08:49 PM.

I don't want added smoke on my Pernil. I like the traditional mojo flavor. I don't make it very often because I live near Disney Rico and lechoneras are everywhere.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Mmmmmm BBQ.jpg Views:	10 Size:	963.3 KB ID:	1016271
    Last edited by Bkhuna; April 11, 2021, 07:29 AM.

Comment

• tenphases
      tenphases commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks great!

Looks real good. Another way to do it is after drying the skin, give it full heat for the first 20 mins to set the crackle, so you don't over cook the meat. then back it down and finish the cook.

Comment

Looks spectacular!

Comment

That looks outstanding!

Comment

The only thing missing is me

Comment

• tenphases
            tenphases commented
            Editing a comment
            Hop on I 84 west and ill see you on Thurday 🙂🤣

• bbqLuv
            bbqLuv commented
            Editing a comment
            Sure sounds tempting.
            Happy Grill to you and PBR too.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here