Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Last meal ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Last meal ribs

So I have done 6 pork shoulders now and am pretty confident in my pulled pork. So today I am trying first Last meal ribs. Started the WSM 22" this morning and got the ribs on at 8am. Followed the recipe exactly. salted with 3/4 t. salt let sit 1 1/2 hrs then rubbed with oil and 2T memphis dust on each side. they set about another 1/2 hr or so while the smoker was getting ready. I took pics on counter and when I put them on the grill. Will try to figure out how to post them later.

It is now 830am and the outdoor temp is already 100° and the smoker is currently 218°. Have the probe mounted on grill clip right between the ribs. I have 4 oz of wood, 1/2 apple 1/2 hickory. I have 100 bricketts in a half circle and put a chimney of 60 bricketts on one end. temp started at 250° when I put the ribs in it was at 220°and then in 15 mins dropped to 208°. messed with some vents and 8:40am back to 220°. I am happy so far with the temp and have an umbrella set over the smoker to shade a little from the HOT sun. Hope everything keeps going well and the wife should be happy when she gets home from work today

Sounds like all is going well and that you all have some good eats in your immediate future. Smoke on!

Kathryn

Comment

Runnin' my second dry run with the SnS. Temp been in the 230's for the past 2 hours. Ambient temp is 91 with Heat Index @ 101. Cooker in direct sunlight, too.

IMHO, can't beat this temp control with the SnS given the environment.

Ribs, Briskets, etc. a'commin'

Happy Cooking To All!

--Ed

Comment

Thanks, I sure hope so. It is now 9:17am and it is at exactly 225°. put the second 4 oz of wood at 8:55am when the first batch slowed down. Im going to record temps every 15 mins now and see what happens.

--- On a side note maybe Meathead could suggest to the Maverick people to add a "current time" box in the corner of the 733 display unit. Sure seems simple to do and then I wouldnt have to look for a clock when recording temps.

Comment

Here are the first pictures of the day.
          Last edited by gardenfish; August 9, 2015, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Ok I think I got it for larger pics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150809-_DSC2738.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	558.3 KB
ID:	101603 Click image for larger version

Name:	20150809-_DSC2741.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	507.9 KB
ID:	101604

Comment

Having my best temp run so far this is about the 6-7th time using the smoker. 2nd time since I installed the gasket kit. here is The log so far
              8:00am-put on ribs temp at 218°-went to 220° added 4oz wood 1/2 hickory 1/2 apple
              8:10am- dropped to 208°
              8:15am- opened ist bottom to 3/4 and opend next bottom in line to full, top full open
              8:20am- 210°
              8:25am- 214°
              8:32am- 217°
              8:40am- 220°
              8:50am- 223°
              8:55am- smoke settled down added 4 more oz wood 1/2 apple 1/2 hickory
              9:16am- 225°
              9:33am- 232° closed first vent to 1/4
              9:45am- 230°
              10:00am- 228°
              10:17am- 226°
              10:28am- 225°

The 3 racks of ribs were 3.2 # each So I am figuring to check them first at 11 am. the 3hr mark. Does this seem right? They are back loin ribs but they look pretty meaty to the usual baby back ribs. So Maybe they may take longer.

Comment

11:00am, temp dropped to 217°. Opened up first two bottom vents to 100% and temp up 1 degree in five mins. Opened the lid a little for a couple seconds to see ribs and feel. They look awesome but not ready yet, they are still pretty firm to touch.

And as fellow grillers and smokers., I am sure you all know that, "The finger" that pushed on the ribs to check them "TASTES AWESOME" Its been 10 minutes and I can still smell it too

Comment

Here is the next part of the log so far
                  10:34am- 225°
                  10:57am-216° opened 1st 2 vents to 100% banged off kettle to remove dust from coals
                  Looked quickly at ribs. Did not feel done.
                  11:18am- 217°
                  11:31am- 219°
                  11:49am- 216° opened door and moved charcol around a bit. Moved some of the beginning coals over the unlit coals. Started a chimney with 30 coals. Opened 3rd vent to 1/2.
                  11:51 am- 225°
                  12 noon- 225 °
                  12:03 pm- tipped cover and bend tested the three racks. No breaking yet.Temp dropped to 214°. Added 15 of the chimney coals, the temp went right up to 237° and closed first vent.
                  12:13pm- 237° Temp outside is 107°
                  12:30pm- 235°

Comment

12:40pm. 232°. Tried again on the bend test. Not there yet. Look awesome so far though.

Comment

Pulled them at 1:50pm at 226°. Cut up one rack and OMG! Served them with KC Masterpiece sauce on the side. They were so good wife said they did not need to be sauced on the grill. I have three more racks to cook sometime. Can't wait. Another good rib run and I am going to graduate to a brisket. Kept the temps what I call perfect for 6hrs with little to no fussing. Makking the charcol ring longer and I thiink it will hold the temp longer. Can't wait for the next smoke .

They just melted in your mouth!!!Click image for larger version

Name:	20150809-_DSC2745.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	397.7 KB
ID:	101663 Click image for larger version

Name:	20150809-_DSC2746.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	261.3 KB
ID:	101664 Click image for larger version

Name:	20150809-_DSC2747.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	358.5 KB
ID:	101665 Click image for larger version

Name:	20150809-_DSC2748.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	275.1 KB
ID:	101666

Name:	20150809-_DSC2744.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	485.2 KB
ID:	101662
                      Last edited by gardenfish; August 9, 2015, 05:38 PM.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
                        fuzzydaddy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Awesome photos! And the ribs look equally as great.

Beautiful!

Comment

Originally posted by gardenfish View Post
                        Pulled them at 1:50pm at 126°. Cut up one rack and OMG! Served them with KC Masterpiece sauce on the side. They were so good wife said they did not need to be sauced on the grill. I have three more racks to cook sometime. Can't wait. Another good rib run and I am going to graduate to a brisket. Kept the temps what I call perfect for 6hrs with little to no fussing. Makking the charcol ring longer and I thiink it will hold the temp longer. Can't wit for the next smoke .

They just melted in your mouth!!!
                        That does look as perfect as it could be. Nicely done! I love the bark color and those sliced ribs are beeeeuteeeful! The key to good food pics is not only good food obviously but good camerawork, and you did good here on both counts.

Name:	award.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	101672

Comment

Looks good.

Comment

Just realized while I was looking at the pictures that the rack in the back was the most cooked. Well I realized that before but, That is where the top exhaust was positioned over. So next time I cook I will rotate the lid every couple hours or so. Never noticed this before cooking butts but it sure makes sense.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here