Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cuban sandwich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cuban sandwich

A Cuban is my favorite sandwich. It's amazing how such a simple sandwich can be so unbelievably good. Of course, it's only as good as the ingredients on it. I've had some that left something to be desired, and others that I imagine are but a taste of what's to come after this life. And of course the pork roast is the foundation of a good Cuban sandwich. So, I'm sitting here wondering what would the same pork roast, flavored with traditional Cuban spices and brine, taste like if it weren't just roasted, but smoked.......
    Hmmmmm, thoughts anyone?

would be awesome, go for it!

Comment

My friends and I did this the other night. We smoked a pork butt to 185 then sliced it. We brined with cuban flavors. made for a tasty sandwidch.

Comment

• mackdaddy
        mackdaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        What were the ingredients of the brine? What and how did you brine it and smoke it and make the sandwich.

• jrobertson50
        jrobertson50 commented
        Editing a comment
        It was my buddies recipe. ill ask him.

I do believe I'm gonna have to try it soon as I get a chance.

Comment

This thread is making me hungry.

Comment

Tampa is the home (along with the Keys)of the Cuban sandwich and is one of my favorites. Cuban bread is unique and is great when pressed.

Comment

That sounds like a winner. When you do it you have share the recipe, because I for one will try it.

Comment

I just had one that had smoked pulled pork in Gatlinburg while on vacation. It was awesome. My wife had it one night then we both had it the next time we went. It was a great place called three jimmys. Great ribs too.

Jim

Comment

• Stevehtn
                Stevehtn commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow. Thanks for posting that. I only live about 20 miles away from there. The woman works in pigeon forge.

• 3DJ
                3DJ commented
                Editing a comment
                It's a GREAT place. The service "might" be a little slow, but I don't mind that because they are hustling and working hard and the food is good - comfort food. Which I think is great. ( well, it goes beyond comfort food, they had chile lime cole slaw that I would kill for ;-) and of course smoking their own!

Jim

Breadhead do you have a cuban bread recipe? They use a palm frond here in Tampa when baking it. No preservatives and it tends to go stale quickly

Comment

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                FLBuckeye

Here's a good easy to follow recipe for Cuban Bread.

That's a good recipe and if you read the comment section of his video people say it's the real deal Cuban bread.

I personally... Would make a preferment by using half of the flour and an equal amount of water with just a pinch of yeast and let it ferment at room temperature over night. The next day I would add the remaining ingredients and mix it together. Then allow it to proof and then bake it. Long slow fermentation greatly improves the taste of your bread and it extends the shelf life of your loaves too.

Breadhead...
                Last edited by Breadhead; August 7, 2015, 11:17 AM.

The King Arthur Flour site has a Cuban sandwich recipe, with the bread. May not be totally authentic, but close. For a more detailed discussion of the bread and alternatives (the suggest Jimmy-Johns loaves) see the Three Guys from Miami web site. They should know; lots of interesting recipes there. It's a long link, try this or Google: http://tinyurl.com/nzejgnw

Comment

I know it's communism, but I use either white hoagie rolls or French bread. Works very well, though obviously not authentic. I will say that, though a sandwich press works good enough, Alton Brown's method of 2 cookie sheets loaded with bricks in a 500 degree oven makes for a much crispier and more authentic sandwich, albeit more headache.

Comment

My interest has been piqued, this sounds amazing.

Comment

• Breadhead
                    Breadhead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    @LSUBBQFan

Execute it and take pictures...

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here