Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trimming Spare Ribs Video (Malcom Reed/Mark Williams)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trimming Spare Ribs Video (Malcom Reed/Mark Williams)

Malcom Reed has recently started a new video series called Out the Smoke in collaboration with his longtime friend, Mark Williams of Swine Life BBQ.

One of the twelve inaugural videos is one on how to trim whole spare ribs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6jQ3peuOmA

It's a quick watch and very clear. I probably will never buy St. Louis cut ribs again, now that I see how easy it is to trim a whole spare.....and whole spares are about half the price of St. Louis cut!
    Last edited by Michael_in_TX; March 29, 2021, 08:33 PM.

I'd trim my own if I could find whloe spares, but all my local grocery carries is baby backs.

Comment

Great video. I have done this before but not a clean as the video shows. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I started buying whole spares, which I can generally get for anywhere from $1.29 to $1.59 a lb. Then I trim them and end up with SLC ribs, rib tips, and the rib sternum. Two slabs of spares give me 3 meals and the price is around $15.00

- 2x SLC ribs - works for us and our neighbors on a saturday
        - rib tips from two racks works for my wife and I
        - 2x rib sternums make a great pot of drunken beans
        Last edited by ecowper; May 3, 2021, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Do what yall gotsta do, I sez

I jus season em, pat it down nice an firm, an throw them spares in my smoker, check on em, after a bit....

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            that sternum makes a mighty nice pot o' beans Bonesy

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup. True Dat, Brother, an you, of all People, might happen to know I likeys me some Beans!
            Specially, when it's already done been smoked up...

I jus bide my time, an separate em, when they's already gots em some Smoke all up in em, throw em into my beans...
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; May 3, 2021, 09:15 PM.

It's not hard to trim spares to St. Louis cut, but does take me a few minutes per rack of ribs. And I am always left with all these scraps I don't know what to do with! If I have space, I smoke the flap meat and rib tips. Right now I have two zip lock bags full of those trimmings sitting in the freezer, from the last time I smoked 4 racks of ribs.

I always am left wondering if I really got a deal over buying the pre-cut SLC ribs, since I feel like I am tossing several pounds of scrap that are not part of what I am cooking.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            jfmorris either way :-)

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            jfmorris yep, either smoke them, or sear them first.

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            personally, I like some smoke on there to add to the beans. But if I'm in a hurry on a saturday, I just sear the trimmings in some bacon fat and call it good

I’ve always struggled removing the tips.

Comment

Like ecowper , I buy full spares when I can find them, and use the trimmings for tips and other meals. But it’s hard to find them these days, everyone is selling semi-St Louis racks, they have the tips, flaps, and ends, but not the sternum.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            hmmm, haven't encountered this particular phenomenon, as of yet...

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            I think that’s a regional thing …. Here in WA state, I can find full spares easily, but SLC only at Costco

ecowper I've watched numerous videos for trimming spares. I suck at it. I don't know why. Other than this my knife and cleaver skills are very good.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Dang man, not sure how to help other than post the Serious Eats article I posted. Any idea why?

• JeffJ
            JeffJ commented
            Editing a comment
            ecowper Maybe it's a lack of repetition. I've only done it a small handful of times. Practice makes perfect?

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            JeffJ my first time trimming spares wasn't pretty :-)

I tend to buy full spares and cut them down. I do cook the rib tips too. The diaphragm flap I cook and have a mid-cook snack (cooks bonus). May try a brief smoke on the rib tips and add them to beans one of these days.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here