Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Double Smoked Ham This Weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double Smoked Ham This Weekend

I plan this weekend to double smoke a 15# boneless ham in my pellet grill. I have a couple of plans on how the ham will be smoked. Plan A is to apply a dry rub before smoking. Does anyone have experience using Meathead's Memphis Dust as a rub on a double smoked ham? Plan B is to apply a bourbon/maple glaze at he end of the cook and Plan C is to apply the same glaze as well as the dry rub. Any input would be appreciated. I have been outdoor cooking for many years but this is my first ham. It's usually done in the oven by my wife who this time will be using the oven for baking other items.

I haven’t used MMD yet, but I think any of your plans would work well. It just comes down to your personal preference. I’ve smoked whole butt hams several times and they are wonderful! All I’ve done is sprinkle Tony C’s all over the outside and let the ham sit for an hour or so at room temp. before placing on the grill. I’ll smoke them off heat on the kettle for a couple of hours using hickory chunks. My hams weren’t as big as yours, so time should be increased. I brought one to work one day and everyone said it was the best ham they’d ever had. But I think any of your 3 plans would work well.
    Last edited by Panhead John; March 25, 2021, 06:40 AM.

Comment

I've done spiral hams before. I separate the cuts and sprinkle rub in between them and then rub the outside with a little yellow mustard and rub that as well. Smoke at a lower temp for a while using hickory then apply a glaze at the end

Comment

Meatheads recipe on the free side is great, the video at the bottom of the recipe is a good resource too.

Create the best ham you've ever tasted with this ultimate double smoked ham recipe. Ordinary store bought whole or spiral ham is taken over the top by slowly smoking it on the grill. The true star of the show, however, is the sweet and savory glaze!

Comment

I did one on my pellet smoker with MMD last year. Turned out terrific. I applied a very thin coat of yellow mustard as a binder for the rub. Then smoked low and slow to an IT of about 140. At that point I applied the standard glaze that came prepackaged with the ham. I know. Lazy. But it was delish in every way. Go for it!
          Last edited by Jfrosty27; March 25, 2021, 12:57 PM.

Comment

• UncleSpike
            UncleSpike commented
            Editing a comment
            Me too. You won't regret doing this... MMD is great on smoked ham.

• bbqLuv
            bbqLuv commented
            Editing a comment
            Lazy, I don't think so, sounds good, think I will give it a try tomorrow, or next week, perhaps in the summer sometime. Maybe get a precooked and glazed ham, home-delivered, hot with all the trimming from a local eatery.
            Please excuse any typos, I am using voice to text as it's too much work to type.

Meathead apricot glaze is fantastic! I would also check out HowtoBBQRight. Malcom Reed has a great video on this one.

Comment

I’d go with plan c. Ham is really forgiving and u can really load up the flavors on the exterior. I bet u won’t cook a ham in the oven after u smoke one. Just get the temp of the ham to 140 and u will be all good.

Comment

We do spiral hams on the gasser frequently.
              Put the ham in a foil pan with some water and an onion, tent it, cook per instructions.
              Un-tent and brush with the cinnamon, brown sugar glaze it comes with to finish.
              I've never put dry rub on during the cook but know you have me wondering....what if....

Comment

I double smoke Ham because I can not do it right the first time.

Comment

Plan C it is, MMD rub with a glaze and low and slow smoke. Thanks Pitmaster Club community for the input.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here