Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Layering of flavors (multiple rubs), I get it now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Layering of flavors (multiple rubs), I get it now

When i first started down this journey about a year or so ago, one thing that I always thought was odd was how many YouTube videos and blog posts used multiple rubs on pork, especially ribs.

I always thought this was extremely haphazard and, in the case with commercial rubs, wow that can be a lot of salt.

But, now, after the ribs I made this weekend, I get it. These were the best ribs I have made to date. Nearly perfect. I only used one rub: Killer Hogs (Malcom Reed) The BBQ Rub. Great bark, excellent color, good straightforward BBQ flavor.

Yet, surprisingly, the flavor, while great, was....one-dimensional. For the leftovers, I played around a bit. Specifically, I brushed the ribs with some of Max Good's Sweet Cognac sauce, and then dusted on some of Killer Hogs Hot BBQ Rub.

Wow. This increased the depth and interest of the flavors spectacularly. I now can see why people mix or at least layer rubs on ribs.

(Granted, my profile was bark + tacky + dry rub, but I am specifically referring to the resulting flavors rather than texture.)

So I definitely am going to experiment with multiple rubs, being mindful of the salt. (I tried doing a Texas-style rack (salt and black pepper only) a while back and I really over-salted it.)

(Also, to be clear there is nothing wrong with The BBQ Rub. Malcom routinely combines it with other rubs on his videos.)

I don't watch YouTubes, so this may be a dumb question, but would there be any advantage to mixing multiple rubs before applying them so that the salt doesn't get too high the way it would when applying them over one another?

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Good point, and I would add over seasoning to point of tasting the rub over the meat.
      "Candied Ribs", as it were. Most of the videos I have watched were for competitions and to sell their products, and that is okay.
      BBQ videos for friends, family, and catering are different. Seems to be simpler.

This is something I have experimented with.
    When smoking any kind of pork I use Sucklebuster's Hogwaller sometimes as the base dry rub other times as a cover on my homemade dry rub.
    For beef, Sucklebuster's Texas 1836 the same way.
    Jim White I find Sucklebuster's has a high salt content but I do like they're flavor's.
    So when I make my own dry rub I ulilize very little to no salt.
    Kinda find a happy medium.

Comment

I'd love to hear more as you experiment. I generally only use one rub at a time, but would be very open to changing things up if it makes a difference.
      Jim White That's a heck of a good question. I'd like to know the answer to that as well.
      Last edited by willxfmr; March 23, 2021, 10:42 PM.

Comment

So when I do this in regular cooking I'll add X (whatever flavor I'm wanting) at various times. For example, I'll add some dried Italian seasoning at the start of a red sauce, and at the end.

For rubs, I can see doing a few things:

1) Apply the rub early, more later, more even later. Same rub all the way through.
        2) AS above, but different rubs. Maybe one with some sugar early on, etc.
        3) As above (either 1 or 2) but with a mob sauce in between.

Comment

For pulled pork I will use one rub to season the meat while smoking and then add a different rub when I shred the meat. It definitely adds flavor. I have been trying different rubs adding small amounts until it tastes good.

Comment

I have made ribs using my rub for smoking them and then dusting with another after they're done. Sometimes I'm concerned about actually masking the pork flavor by using too much seasoning

Comment

• bbqLuv
              bbqLuv commented
              Editing a comment
              I enjoy a good rub, Salt and Pepper, or SPG to enhance the flavor of the meat.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here