Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a pig leg, now what?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a pig leg, now what?!

We were given almost a 1/2 a pig worth of meat for payment for something my husband helped out with for a friend. Anyway, he sent us a whole pig leg (minus the foot!) and I am guessing it is so I can make a ham with it. But what do I do? I have no clue where to even start with this. I placed it in the freezer so I had time to research and come up with a plan.

So what should I do with this? Thoughts?

Do you have a dog?

Comment

• tamidw
      tamidw commented
      Editing a comment
      I do have two dogs. But I'm not going to give them all that meat! 😃

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Do Have a Dog? I busted out laughing. LOL. Priceless.
      Now that pairs will with PBR.

First I would find a butcher that will break it down for you. Ham, shanks, etc.

Comment

• tamidw
      tamidw commented
      Editing a comment
      This might be my best option as I think I also need to pull up a map of a pig and determine all the parts of meat I have on the leg. Good idea!

For at least part of it

SCHWEINSHAXE

29426017_10214656549117661_464130863436817873_n.jpg Blonder salt brine for a couple hours. Rinse Bag. Soak 165x24F Shock Chill Separate gelatinized purge and creamy lard. Score skin
    Last edited by Polarbear777; March 23, 2021, 05:28 PM.

Comment

• tamidw
      tamidw commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks really good!

• JCGrill
      JCGrill commented
      Editing a comment
      Mmmm schweinehaxe....

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Schweinshaxe (as it's called in southern Germany) is a roasted ham hock or pork knuckle and usually served with sauerkraut Eisbein (as it's called in northern Germany) is usually boiled and served with sauerkraut and pureed yellow peas

I learned something new.

Maloney and Porcelli in Midtown Manhattan serves a deep fried pork shank that is to die for. Just saying.

Comment

First thing that came to mind:

{:en}Pork knuckle marinated in a dark beer is one of the famous dishes of the Czech cuisine. It’s delicious, beautiful, flavored and hearty meal will delight all who’ll gather for a dinner.

There may be better recipes for this out there but I loved it when I had it in the Czech Republic.
      Last edited by STEbbq; March 23, 2021, 05:56 PM.

Comment

• tamidw
        tamidw commented
        Editing a comment
        That sounds awesome! I'll have to look into it too.

Is it a front leg? If so I have made Ecuadorian Roasted Pork Leg which turned out very good.
      http://laylita.com/recipes/2008/01/0...sted-pork-leg/

Comment

• latenight71
        latenight71 commented
        Editing a comment
        i was going to ask if it was a right or a left leg and if the same theory applies from brisket?

Definitely ham for part, I think. Not hard to do it if you have a big enough fridge and a large container or zip bag. You need curing salt though.

Comment

I've gotten hogs before. I've used a sharp knife and de-boned the whole ham leg and then slice it into several sections. I will smoke a decent sized chunk of it and it tastes alot like Boston butt. I will also slice the middle section into ham steaks. Remember unless you salt cure it, the meat will not be salty at all. I really like green ham though.

Comment

Country Ham:

Comment

This is twice I’ve come to this post & miss read it. Life gets tough when you have to stop & think once in awhile. My first response is "aye matey..........."

Comment

• tamidw
              tamidw commented
              Editing a comment
              Haha! Glad I can keep you on your toes thinking! 😁 Looking back at the title I guess I could have worded it differently but then there wouldn't be any fun in it.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here