Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heritage pork butt for carnitas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heritage pork butt for carnitas?

This is my first attempt at carnitas. I got a small heritage pork butt from butcher box and thought it might be good. I seasoned it differently from how I would for pulled pork, but plan to smoke it the same way. Once it's probe tender, then I was going to pull it and let it rest an hour in a cooler. After I shred it, do I fry it?

I like to crisp it up a bit so I would a few minutes

Comment

Yep, a bit of a fry will add some great texture. If you have Lard, that’s the way to go, at least traditionally.

I will admit, when I’ve made carnitas, I didn’t bother with the frying due to the mess/hassle. When I’ve made these, it’s usually for a group, so I just shred and serve. But you could do a shallow fry or even cast iron fry if you only have a smaller amount. Just a few different options for you.

enjoy and let us know how it turns out!

Comment

Carnitas are best with some crispy edges. Frying is a good way to achieve that but I like spreading the shredded pork on a baking sheet and then putting it under the broiler for a few minutes.

Comment

I am using the Weber for the pork and I have a chuck roast on my RecTeq. Gonna be some good tacos tonight.
          Attached Files

Comment

• lostclusters
            lostclusters commented
            Editing a comment
            Ya it will!

I make carnitas a lot by frying up left over pulled pork. Your plan is sound.

Comment

Pull it, chop it and fry it. Pulled pork tacos are absolutely the BOMB

Comment

Yep, I cook it the same way I do when I cook any pork shoulder. But then I fry it in a cast iron skillet on high to make it crispy and crunchy, that makes for some killer tacos!

Comment

i don't smoke my carnitas and cook them closer to Mexico style where it's simmered in a copper cauldren until tender then boiled down and fried in its own fat and some extra lard. i don't have a copper cauldren so I use a brazier pot. i cut up the butt in to large pieces and put in the pot with enough water to cover it and add a tablespoon of kosher salt and a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of lard. simmer covered on medium heat for 45 minutes or until it starts to get tender. pull the lid and turn up the heat so the water will boil off and the meat will begin to fry in its fat and the lard. i let it go until all of the chunks are crispy then pull it apart and serve fresh. !muy delicioso!

Comment

• IowaGirl
                  IowaGirl commented
                  Editing a comment
                  As was I.

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yea all this talk about pulled pork carnitas had me worried. That’s not traditional carnitas as said. Not knocking the fusion of the two, but not understanding how they relate.

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Troutman I know pulled pork is not traditional carnitas. I just find tacos made from leftover pulled pork to be a very good use for it. And I prefer smoking to braising my butt...

Good call on using a different rub - you def don’t want the typical sweet rub most of use use for pulled pork.

Sometimes I smoke it, sometimes I cook it in a Dutch oven. Either way I like to fry it in corn oil - small batches, just what you’re gonna eat right away.

There’s good argument for either style, so try both go with what you like best!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	7FB4814E-79A8-4E3B-85FC-2453AC19A1A2.jpeg
Views:	129
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	1003448Click image for larger version

Name:	F7169CA6-3490-4AC4-A201-F82D04FBD596.jpeg
Views:	137
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	1003449
                  start to finish

Comment

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    There’s the real deal !!

The chuck roast is on the left, and the pork on the right. I thought they both came out really good. Lots of flavor.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here