Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Roast Cure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Roast Cure

I picked up 2 vac sealed packs labelled as Pork Roast. I thinks the cut is a bone out shoulder section. Both weigh 1.7 Kg and 2 inches at the thickest part. It has a thick fat cap and it's been in a bacon cure per the calculator and the cure timing is given as 5.3 days.
    Tomorrow that timeframe is up and I'm thinking of leaving it in for another day or so. My reasoning for this is my last brisket pastrami also had a fat cap that I chose not to remove. After smoking and slicing, it had a pale patch where the cure did not reach. The uncured bit was higher up from the centre of the meat towards the fat end.
    My thoughts are that because of the fat I needed to let it cure a tad longer. The rest of the meat wasn't as dark a cure as I've had before. I did use the calculator as I always do so I'm assuming it had nothing to do with the ingredients and timing more because of the fat.

Any suggestions or thoughts on whether leaving the fat on affects how the cure works and the timing?

I'd agree with your reasoning and it wont do any harm to let it go 7-8 days.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I was thinking an extra day. Was keen on getting it done over the weekend 😁. Might do the one on Sunday and the other on Monday and do a comparison.

Mh always says you can go 25-30% longer in the cure w/o worry, the calc just gives you the minimum necessary time assuming your other measurements are accurate.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      I got that much. Was more curious about the fat cap and the affect it has when curing. I don't trim as much fat off. Prefer leaving more fat on my meat.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Roger that, I think you're good. holehogg I've never cured anything with a fat cap to know myself.

Sounds like a good plan to me, then you can compare the results to your last cure and let us know how this worked.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here