Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lazy no more: Diving back into pizza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lazy no more: Diving back into pizza

I've been in a lazy pizza rut where I've been buying the dough from the supermarket. It's pretty good dough and the pizzas are good but I'm not learning anything. So I borrowed my Elements of Pizza book back from my neighbors and made some New York Pizza dough a couple days ago with my girlfriend and tonight I made the pizzas.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Resizer_16147434127190.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	359.0 KB
ID:	998352

I Made a classic cheese.

Name:	Resizer_16147434127192.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	998353

I Also made a pepperoni, mushroom, and onion. A recipe from the book.

Name:	Resizer_16147434127191.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	998354
    I used my Blackstone Pizza Oven which was at about 1000f for the preheat then I turned down the heat considerably. The crust came out well.

Name:	Resizer_16147434127193.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	366.3 KB
ID:	998355

The book is written for home ovens. Previously I've adjusted the hydration for another dough recipe but I didn't this time for the new york dough. Maybe I'll try that in the future.

Next up will be a dough made with a biga (flour, water, and a pinch if yeast fermentated overnight). I may go back to my old sauce because I liked it better than the NY sauce which had sugar, olive oil, and oregano in it.

I'm glad to be back in the saddle.

Those pies look fantastic. I love making pizza from scratch. Especially utilizing the Kettle Pizza accessory for my kettle. Having said that, I've gotta say, the Chef Boy-R-Dee pizza kit makes for a very flavorful pie. It does not compare with homemade, but it's pretty easy to make and it tastes pretty dang good.

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Looking good Attjack JeffJ which pizza attachment do you have for your kettle?

Wonderful work!

Comment

Those pies look great! Attjack I'm assuming you think highly of that oven?

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I love it. Perhaps the best $50 I've spent. It's kind of ugly but the fact it can get over 900f in 10-15 minutes seals the deal. I also like the rotating stone although I did replace the motor since the stock one sucked. If you ever see one for sale grab it.

Pizza, PBR, girlfriend, and don't forget the Ranch dressing for dipping.
      You done good.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        You had me until the ranch.

Attjack how long does your dough spend rising and resting?

Comment

Try the sourdough recipe from that same ken Forkish book. do a 3 day cold ferment, and reap the rewards. It is the best!

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        As I mentioned at the end of the first post I will be doing that next. I'm really looking forward to that.

Hmmm. Looks great! But I didn't know Blackstone had a pizza oven.... and looks like they do not any more either.

I'll either keep on using kettle or kamado, or splurge on an Ooni at some point.

Comment

@jfmorris The Blackstone Pizza Oven is a very popular and sought-after item that has been discontinued. Blackstone did announce an updated version was imminent but the estimated launch date came and went.

Here's what 2 minutes in the Blackstone does to a pizza.

Here's an older pizza oven comparison including the Blackstone.

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          My stone has never cracked BTW and I have used it frequently for years.

wow looks good! I have a Bertello Outdoor Pizza Oven haven't gotten the nerve to use it yet! its very intimidating lol I bought some super market mixes for the dough (if I'm just gonna burn the heck out of it no use taking the time to make the real stuff) Its beginning to warm up so maybe you have given me the urge to try... Nope still to intimidating!! LOL

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          That Bertello is new to me. Starting with store-bought dough is a good idea. Let us know how you like it.

Every time I get a round of pizza they come out flat.

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds like a PBR issue.

This is the only recipe I've ever used to make Pizza. It's really good. That said, I've never done anything else. Breadhead, before he got banned, used to swear by it. Good enough for me.

SB 016| How to Make Neapolitan Pizza Dough | Stella Culinary

Stella Culinary has other styles of pizza dough too.

I make it in the Primo. It's a great pizza oven.
        Last edited by JCBBQ; March 4, 2021, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here