Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yeast Hydration @ 68º Reason For Low Dough Flavor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeast Hydration @ 68º Reason For Low Dough Flavor?

Rushed and distracted, I hydrated Fleischmann's yeast in 68 degree water. Fermentation took 5 hours to double, not 2, but everything else in my go-to NY recipe was normal, including 4 days' retarding before proofing, forming, and baking. The dough had much less flavor than normal. Do you think 68 degrees was the culprit?

Short answer? No.

Same flour as usual? Anything else change, i.e. salt % etc?

Comment

• fkrall
      fkrall commented
      Editing a comment
      Ahhh--now that you mention it (and I should have mentioned it), I ran out of King Arthur bread flour and so added 90g King Arthur Pizza Flour to the 280g KA to complete the standard 370g flour total. Everything else the same. I remember thinking the Pizza Flour (my first time trying it) would help the flavor rather than hurt it, but perhaps not.

I don't think so either.

Comment

I do not think so either. As mentioned, could be the flour. I have seen the climate of the room have an effect as well.

Comment

What recipe are you using?
        I’m working on my pizza game as well. So any info will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

How old was the flour? Older flour can make a difference...

Comment

Steve B https://stellaculinary.com/stella-cu...-resource-page. I'm making the NY Style. I think a great site with a number of helpful videos. Thanks, all, for your suggestions. As I review my notes, I realize I made a number of rookie mistakes, not the least of which was posting my question before reviewing my notes! Perhaps not microwaving the yeast hydration (the thought crossed my mind) was the smartest thing I did. We learn more from our mistakes....

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the link.

A friend of ours just baked us a loaf of sourdough bread, from Bread flour, whole wheat flour, rye flour, semolina flour, water, and salt. Fantastic.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here